Sunday, April 28, 2013

Makeover Without My Consent...



Ohh Ohh Ohh
Said goodbye, turned around
And you were gone, gone, gone
Faded into the setting sun,
Slipped away
But I won’t cry
Cause I know I’ll never be lonely
For you are the stars to me,
You are the light I follow…

You know me. Heather. Some little things I love: rain...sunflowers...victoria's secret...pink....sara evans....blankets....strawberry cheesecake yogurt.... Bigger things... Currently, going to school and work is on hold while I fight Leukemia. I was diagnosed with this cancer in April 2008. God is in control and He's teaching me daily how to trust Him. Learning to have that faith that I spoke of at the beginning of 2008... I also said that I wanted to spend more time with family and friends that I've let slip through the cracks.... and I have done a lot of that the past month! and last from my goals at the beginning of 2008, I knit... quite a lot these days. I'm going to have 6 projects going at the same time.... Before I'm done updating this page... I have a few more things I wanted to shout out that I'm so grateful for. First and foremost, my caregiver, biggest supporter and cheerleader.... I am so grateful and thankful for my momy. She's been right there every single step of the way! Fighting with doctors, nurses, and insurance to ensure that I get the best care, the most pain free way there is! She's there for every tear drop that falls... and also when I can smile and laugh about something. God knew I needed her!
~MySpace~Lil China Doll

I have stated it before that this year for a reason I cannot pinpoint is much harder. I have no explanation for this; it just simply is the way it is. The events are still so clear in my mind it is like they happened yesterday. I am not sure that these images will ever leave my mind completely. They race through my mind and thought in vivid color; they have not dulled at all.

I am not sure how we survived the first few days after Heather died. We did things now that I look back on and wonder how in the world we did those things. The only reason is because of extreme shock. I was a walking, sort of functioning zombie, drowning but still breathing with my head barely above water. The next day, just about 12 hours after Heather died I was at Falconer Funeral Home making all the arrangements, picking out a casket and giving them her things. After we left the funeral home we stopped by the hospital. We went into ICU, radiology and 6 South. We handed out “Heather” bunnies to some special staff people. We were treated very well and were told the whole hospital was talking about Heather. To even drive by Banner Baywood now gives me sick feeling in my stomach. I drive by there many times a week.

One of the hardest things was our whole family went to Peter Piper Pizza for lunch that day. Not sure why, we were hungry and couldn’t think of anything better. We were all numb and not sure we even tasted what we ate. The manager knew us because for 12 years this was a weekly place we ate at. He came to us during our meal and gave us a dessert pizza. He stated that we looked so sad and he hoped this would help our day. He had no way of knowing what had just happened in our world and I didn’t tell him. I do remember ordering drinks and saying 6 small drinks, wait no 5 small drinks, no wait…and having to really think about how many drinks cups I needed. I think that was the first moment it began to hit home that Heather was gone as weird as that sounds.
July-2008
I can hear those echoes in the wind at night
Calling me back in time
Back to you
In a place far away
Where the water meets the sky
The thought of it makes me smile
You are my tomorrow

Here it is now four years later and I still can’t come to grips with the idea that Heather is gone, FOREVER. Her stuff is still here and life is moving forward and Heather is still gone. Most of her friends are getting married and having babies but Heather is still gone and not getting married and not having babies. I know she would want her friends to be happy and move on with their lives. I am happy for her friends and really do wish them the best. It is just hard for me to sit on the sidelines knowing that Heather would have been involved with several of the weddings. She would have been an honorary Aunt a couple times over. Moving forward without her is tough. Holidays come and go and she isn’t here to celebrate with us.

In looking at photos I realized that there are no more new photos of Heather. I recently went back through old photo files and began looking for different photos of Heather that no one has really seen before. It doesn’t matter if I took a photo of her every day, it would not be enough. But one day, there will be no never before seen photos of her. I posted two to the blog the last few days that I really have been enjoying looking at. Her eyes are so mesmerizing and beautiful. Just a sad thought not to have any new photos of Heather ever again.

Sometimes I feel my heart is breaking
But I stay strong and I hold on
Cause I know
I will see you again, ohhh
This is not where it ends
I will carry you with me
Till I see you again…
~See You Again~Carrie Underwood

Let's see.... Heather is my given name but a lot of people call me Miss Priss, lil Missy, or just plain Missy. Since finding out I am going to be an Aunt in Spring 2009, I've decided to go by Aunt Missy... hence the "Missy".... It's much easier to learn to say. I'm starting to think I should just accept that as my name since I get a second chance at life... why not a new name? Yes, I spent Summer 2008 fighting cancer and participating in aggressive in-hospital chemo. I am a Survivor! It gave me a life makeover without my consent, but I wouldn't change a thing. This is who I am supposed to be with this event. Hmmm... something you should know about me.... Yes I am "the Princess"....
~MySpace~Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment