Thursday, May 3, 2012

My 12 in 12...


I was asked a question the day after April 20th as to what my “New Year’s” resolutions might be. I actually had not given it any thought. I recently read a blog from a friend who turned 29. She wrote out her 30 things to do before she turns 30. I stole this idea from her. I am calling it my 12 things to do in 12 months. Not very creative this year but will begin a new tradition each April 21 of my “New Year’s” resolutions. So here they are for this year:

My12 in 12
Personal
1. Actually clean & organize the house
2. Read 10 books
3. Refurbish Sally Angel
Health
4. Lose last 7 pounds
5. Hike a mountain in the area
6. Find 3 new healthy meals
Travel
7. Go to Alaska-excursions beyond dreams
8. Go visit the new CarsLand-huge surprise
9. Attend a musical or play
Financial 
10. Buy a strangers’ meal
11. Find a home for bunnies-yes financial
12. Re floor the upstairs or the downstairs
Black Disneyland bag with the blanket still sitting in it...
During Heather’s chemo I made 17 afghans. I always had a new project to work on when we went to the hospital. I had so much time to sit and do nothing that it just made sense to do something constructive. When Heather was in ICU I finished a baby blanket and didn’t really have anything started. My goal was to make blankets for the ICU staff the way I had done for the 6 South staff. On one of my few moments away from the hospital I dug through my yarn stash and picked a new project. When I was working on it Heather’s nurse, Traci, had commented about how lovely the colors were. My desire was to give it to her. (Side story-the man in the room next to Heather was on a vent and in serious condition. His wife was with him all the time. They didn’t have much. I wanted to give her an afghan just because I felt she needed one. Jenn had an extra blanket that was siting and I asked her if I could give it to the lady next door.) Traci was so moved by the gesture that when I told her I was making the blanket for her she wanted to give it to someone else. It threw me for a loop. I wasn’t sure I wanted her to give it away. I worked on it for many of the days in ICU. When the news came that Heather was not going to make it, the blanket went into the Disneyland bag and there it has sat for 3 years.
10 rows...this is what 10 rows look like
Finished blanket...bittersweet
This is one of the only projects that I never completed. I decided that I could not give it to Traci or anyone. I had started this blanket when Heather was still awake and she watched me crocheting on it. I just cannot give it away. A month ago I took out the Disneyland bag and wanted to look at the blanket to see how much work needed to be done to finish it. I was shocked to realize that I only needed to crochet 10 rows and it was completed. So I finished one row of the multi-colored, did the three rows of cream and ended with the dark purple. That was it, 10 rows is all it took to finish this blanket. It sat for 3 years only needing 10 rows and about 3 hours’ worth of time to finish. I had no idea it was that close to being completed. Now the blanket sits on the end of the couch ready to be used when time comes. It is bittersweet to see it finished and remember when it was mostly finished.
These have been ground, sanded and foiled
These have been ground, sanded, foiled and brandished...
Pieces cut, ground and sanded..
 My stained glass window is coming along well. I stop by the glass store about every 10 days. I try not to bother them too much. I would stop by everyday if I could. Linda is doing an amazing job. She has countless hours into cutting and grinding the glass so far. As of Thursday she has cut 311 pieces and has about 120-150 more just to finish the cutting part. Then ALL the pieces have to be ground and sanded, then foiled and brandished (foil rolled smooth) and then finally soldered together. The colors of the glass are beyond words. It is coming together more beautiful than I even imagined. Linda short changed her time and amount of effort to create this window, but wants the bragging rights. She charged me $175 per square foot and she should have charged $375 per sq. ft. Everyone in her classes want to see the finished project. I also have given my permission for her to display the window once it is finished if she would like to. So far she has told me no she wants me to have it when it is finished. It will not be completed in time for Mother’s Day, but that is okay. It is an amazing work of art in progress that cannot be rushed.
Beginning, not much cut
Some of the purples of the iris flowers





All of the pieces that are cut now..WOW!!
Beautiful, thin glass for some of the flowers

 I have been hitting the gym hard again and it feels good. I managed to survive another death anniversary with no weight gain at all. Working out hard helps my stress. I work hard and fight against the machine as I go to let out my anger, frustration and sadness. Not that it ever goes away completely, but I read my books and sweat. Healthy BMI-Body Mass Index-is 24.9-18.4...I officially have a healthy BMI of 23.7 Go baby, go baby that is how I burn....Taken me 4 years of ups and downs to get here, but here I am and 7 pounds from goal weight. Right now I am putting on muscle, not sure why that is, but I will take it. My biggest issue is that all my summer clothes from last year are TOO BIG and I am having a difficult time finding new ones that fit. I am trying to make sure I won’t have to redo my clothes when I lose the last 7 pounds. But cannot find a size small enough; as funny as it sounds, I am not used to my new smaller size. I feel like I swim in all my clothes now.

Background, not leaf-second to the smallest piece
This is the smallest piece of the entire piece..can you imagine working with this one?
 Getting used to an empty house has been difficult. We have three bedrooms and a bathroom that never get walked into or used at all now. I placed my blow dryer in the hall bathroom so I would use it when I dry my hair. Jenn’s room is still empty as is our hideaway room in our master bedroom. It is really weird to have rooms in a house that you simply do not use or need. I don’t need three guest rooms so I have no idea what to do with that room. The entire house needs to have the flooring redone. But for being here 18 years and having purchased cheaper carpet it is not in that bad of shape. I think if the housing market was better we would sell the house and downsize. I am not sure how I feel about selling this house. The girls grew up here. So instead we will do some remodeling.
Not much left..just the right side
See how the direction of the glass makes the picture come to life
Just some to show me-no light behind it but simply breath-taking
 You were the treasure in my hand
You were the one who always stood beside me
So unaware I foolishly believed
That you would always be there
But then there came a day
And I turned my head and you slipped away...
~Reba~

No comments:

Post a Comment