Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day...


Becca: Do you think they are real?
Jason: Parallel universes?…..I think its basic science.
If space is infinite then anything is possible!!
Becca: So, somewhere out there I am what just making pancakes?
Or I am at a water park?
Jason: Yeah sure, both whatever…
There are tons of you’s out there and tons of me’s out there…
Becca: And so this is just the sad version of us...
Jason: Yeah I guess
Becca: But there are other versions and in those versions
everything goes our way?
Jason: Assuming you believe in science
Becca: I like that thought, it’s nice,
Somewhere out there I’m having a good time…
~Rabbit Hole~

The quote above is from the movie Rabbit Hole. I love and hate this movie. It is such a good look at how things feels and look after your child dies. I know not everyone can watch this movie, but there isn’t a huge portion dwelling on the actual death but more showing how you try to live again. I still believe that everyone should watch this movie. I love the statement “somewhere out there I’m having a good time…” I would love to think that somewhere in another world or time I am happy and all is right with the world. It is nice to dream or imagine a place like that. Where Heather is alive and living her life, married and cancer-free.
The Window..this does not capture its beauty
This past week many schools have ended for the year and most high schools have had their graduation ceremonies. I don’t think back to Heather’s graduation as much as I think back to when she had cancer. We were in La Banner Spa for our week long treatment and it was pouring rain which so rarely happens here. Our neighbor had been kind enough to keep her eye on the mail and get the packages delivered to her house for us. Karen came running up, wet and in a hurry as her son was graduating that evening from Red Mountain. I remember thinking how sad that all the people had come into town to see the graduations and because of the rain they would be moving inside which meant only 2 people per family could attend. I remember standing at Heather’s room window and looking out at the dark clouds and all the heavy rain thinking how sad for all those families and graduates that had worked so hard. Funny at that moment I wasn’t thinking poor me at having to be in the hospital.
The breath taking irises...
I have stated several times that I would give anything to have Heather back going thru treatments again. I am very selfish in this thinking but at least I could hold her close, hear her voice and tell her “I Love You” one more time. As horrible as chemo was I would not trade one minute of taking care of Heather for anything in the world. She slept in my bed because I was afraid I would not hear her. Most night we fell asleep holding hands in the center of the bed. Most nights in the hospital I fell asleep lying in her hospital bed and then moved during the night to my bed. I shaved her head, made a midnight run to Whataburger, went to the cafeteria at 1am and left the property to get a DQ blizzard. It was a lot of work and there were many horrible-bad times, but for some odd reason I remember the good-bad times.
Sun coming thru the magnolias..
This week getting my nails done I listened into a mother/daughter conversation as they were getting their toes done. The daughter was 15 and had received good grades for her freshman year and this was her mom’s reward for her hard work. I again sat and thought about all the pedicures Heather had during treatments. We have a neighbor who runs a nail place and we went there. She gave Heather her pedis at no charge. It was one moment of pampering that Heather could have done and she loved it so much. I was thinking about all the different times the girls and I had been to the nail place over the years. I wanted to tell the mom to cherish each moment because they could change in the blink of an eye. But figured I would keep my opinions to myself. Most people don’t want to listen unless I tell them where I am coming from and I didn’t feel like sharing my story. I recently found a new nail place. They have no idea anything about me and for right now I like it that way.


There are moments in history that change the world forever. Time is suspended when an event occurs that is so shocking, so unexpected, so inexplicable from that moment forward nothing can ever be the same.
~The Kennedy Detail~
Reflections...
These words are meant to describe the assignation of President Kennedy and how this event changed the world. While Heather was not as important her death changed my world forever and nothing can ever be the same. She never will be known around the world for some earth shattering movie role or finding a cure for something. But to me, to my world it was so shocking and devastating that life as I knew it is gone forever. It is easier for me to accept meeting new people now because they didn’t know the old me. The Sherry I used to be. They only know the new sadder me that is changed forever. Sometimes when I see people I know I act like I don’t see them so I don’t have to speak to them. They in return either don’t recognize me or do the same. It is just easier not to have to paint on my smile and act like everything is ok. Everyone in the world needs to know that I have survived and I am ok, that I am done with that grieving thing.
Looking from the outside of the house..
My amazing stained glass was finished this week. We hung it in the front window by Heather’s piano. It is absolutely beyond words. The photos are ok but they do not begin to capture the real beauty of the glass. Many of the pieces have glitter in them. I have not been able to get this captured in a photo yet. Heather would be THRILLED with this window. I am so glad I found that pattern and was able to have it made. This was her final project. In the end it wasn’t okay that I pitched out her stained glass, but it all worked out and I have her dream of a window that she wanted to finish. The window is yet another “painting” of sorts that hangs in vivid reminder of Heather. Only this one she had a huge part of since she picked the pattern to begin with.

On Memorial Day the flag is raised briskly to the top of the staff and then solemnly lowered to the half-staff position, where it remains only until noon. It is then raised to full-staff for the remainder of the day.
An amazing site to see
The half-staff position remembers the more than one million men and women who gave their lives in service of their country. At noon their memory is raised by the living, who resolve not to let their sacrifice be in vain, but to rise up in their stead and continue the fight for liberty and justice for all.
Flags line the roadways
Memorial Day is today and it is supposed to be a time when we stop to honor our fallen veterans’ for their service to our country. But I have come to realize that it is more about what are we eating? Are we going to the lake? And what big huge sale are we going to shop? When I went to the cemetery on Saturday they had put out all the flags on the veteran’s graves and also lined the roadways with huge flags. If you really want to get a sense of what Memorial Day is all about go visit a cemetery and pay your respects to some of the fallen men and women out there. I also found a patriotic Mickey Mouse painted plywood cutout for the front yard. Bill bought a solar light and two flags to place beside it. I plan to put this out for Memorial Day and then again at the 4th of July to honor the red white and blue. I guess maybe I have morphed into an old person recently as I find it important to decorate a grave with every holiday and do the same with the yard. At least for now I do not have any gnomes for the yard. I do however have one for Heather’s spot…
Flags by Heather's spot and her flowers
I am actually shocked and saddened by my lack of knowledge of this holiday. I have thought nearly all my life it was for all veterans in our armed services living and dead. I had no clue as to the history of the holiday or how the South celebrated on a different day from the North. I remember the red poppies that were always being handed out by veterans in front of the post office but never knew these were and are still hand crafted by disabled veterans to help them meets their financial needs. I am saddened and disappointed in myself that I really don’t know about this holiday. I encourage everyone who reads my blog to take just a few minutes from FaceBook or games to look up something about Memorial Day. If you do, post something in the comments that you found out. I am interested to see who will…
Mickey knows the meaning of Memorial Day...
One of the longest-standing traditions is the running of the Indianapolis 500, an auto race which has been held in conjunction with Memorial Day since 1911. It runs on the Sunday preceding the Memorial Day holiday. The Coca-Cola 600 stock car race has been held later the same day since 1961.

2 comments:

  1. I already knew this but I find it truly amazing that Arlington has "flags in" where every available soldier places flags at the graves of the fallen, over 260,000. they remain there for one week guarded at the cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your blog! XOXO
    My cousin's husband Fletcher is part of the Old Guard. He trains soldiers for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. He also has the task of presenting the American Flag to the Mother's or Wives of the Soldier being laid to rest.
    The Sentinels of the Tomb
    On Memorial Day, 1921, an unknown was exhumed from each of four cemeteries in France. The remains were placed in identical caskets and assembled at Chalon sur Marne.
    Originally a civilian watchman was responsible for the security of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Then, March 24, 1926, a military guard from the Washington Provisional Brigade (forerunner of the U.S. Army Military District of Washington) was established during the day-light hours. In 1948 the 3d U.S. Infantry "The Old Guard" assumed the post following the units reactivation in the nation’s capital. Members of the 3d Infantry’s Honor Guard continue to serve in this distinguished duty today.
    Source: http://www.army.mil/info/organization/unitsandcommands/commandstructure/theoldguard/specplt/tomb.htm

    ReplyDelete