Monday, March 25, 2013

Twilight...



Twilight-
The time of the day when the sun is just below the horizon,
especially the period between sunset and dark.

I’d never given much thought to how I would die-though I’d had reason enough in the last few months-but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this…
Preface-Bella Swan~Twilight

What a way to begin a book. I wonder if Heather thought about those words as she began to read. This struck me very profound when I was working on this blog. Heather had been given many reasons to think about dying during her cancer treatments. But I know to this day she would have never imagined she would die the way she did. Being in remission, in ICU, on a vent and deprived of oxygen to the point of being brain dead. How interesting to me that Twilight the book begins with this very sentence about how Bella would die.
Christmas Eve 2008 Bill, Jenn, Heather and I went to see back to back movies while Wendy was with other family. We were killing time till it was our family time to be together. The 2 movies we saw were Twilight and Yes, Man. Heather had no interest whatsoever in Twilight, the book or movie. Stacey and Shawna were talking and trying to get her interested in this series. Heather saw the movie and was hooked. We stopped at a couple places late on Christmas Eve trying to find the books so she could begin reading them. Jenn had the whole series and agreed to let her begin her Twilight book till she could buy her own. Heather bought Twilight and New Moon, but barrowed Jenn’s Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Heather would only get to the wedding of Bella and Edward in the last book before she would never finish this book.

Heather for very specific reasons loved Edward. She was Team Edward all the way. But her reasons were not because of Robert Pattenson or because of the “dreamy” character of Edward in the book. It was because he could offer her a dream life where she would never get sick again. If Edward bit her she could be whole again. She did joke that when she received blood she wondered if she would taste different. Even in ICU Heather kept hoping her “Edward” was real and would come make her whole again. No, Heather believed in God and was not placing her faith and hope in something other than Christ. She was a 21 year old girl who had faced cancer and death and just wanted to be totally well again. Something none of us can blame her for.

Since Heather had not finished the last book, I began an experiment on her. Yes, she was to be my guinea pig. I had Breaking Dawn on audio book and had the idea that I was going to play the book over and over to her and then see if when she came off the vent if she remembered any part of the book. Mother how could you? Well, I just had a question and I needed to know what she would or would not remember. I played the book for her 4 times. Of course I do not know the answer to my question. But it would have been very interesting to see if she remembered or if as she read the book she felt it was familiar to her.

“Clair de Lune? I asked, surprised
“You know Debussy?” He sounded surprised too
“Not well,” I admitted. “My mother plays a lot of classic music around the house-I only know my favorites.”
Edward and Bella~Twilight
 
While Heather was in ICU my dear friend Diane came to see me on one of her many times and brought me a gift. It was a beautiful Willow Tree figurine entitled Close To Me "Apart or together, always close to me.” She explained this represented her hugging me as I went thru this with Heather since she understood all too well. This was also her and her daughter Beka that died 11 years earlier and finally me and Heather. That no matter how far away we are always close to them. It blew me away last year as right before Mother’s Day I found this figurine in a music box and it played Claire de Lune. It brought tears to my eyes and I bought it on the spot.

I’d never given much thought to how I would die-though I’d had reason enough in the last few months-but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this…
Preface-Bella Swan~Twilight

No comments:

Post a Comment