Monday, August 15, 2011

Glass Beads...Lampworking...

A little bit of history...Lampworking is an age-old art of working glass cane or “rods” over an open flame. Originally, an oil lamp was used and the flame was stoked with an air bellows to focus heat and melt the glass. Hence, the "lampwork" name.


Today, lampworking is done by using gas torches with specialized burner heads. The fascination that accompanies the melting of glass remains, and the name “lampworking” is a reminder that this highly refined craft has a very old and basic origin. Once again, we owe gratitude to the marvels of Italian glass artists/chemists who formed the basis of what we know now.


Modern lampworking involves heating glass rods over a flame, then wrapping that molten glass over a mandrel.  The mandrel is a stainless steal rod that has been pre-coated with a chalky dip that allows the bead to release from the rod once the piece is finished.


A bead artist holds the mandrel in one hand and a glass rod in the other. As the glass softens in the flame, it is wrapped around the mandrel to form a bead. With constant rotation of the mandrel, the molten bead is born with an artistic symmetry.  Additional layers of glass are applied in the same fashion to add color, shape and texture to the bead.


During this process, we scatter ashes in between the layers of hot glass. Clear, melted glass is then worked on top of the ash, encasing the glass globe. This adds depth and extra strength to the bead.



Once the "glass" portion of the bead is completed, it is placed in an annealing kiln for controlled cooling to prevent thermal shock, or “cracking of the bead”. Cooling the bead can be a lengthy process, but it ensures that each bead will be able to endure for years to come.


After hours in the kiln and the bead has cooled, it is removed from the mandrel. It is then cleaned and readied for wiring.

There is a huge need to try to keep Heather as close to me as possible. Try as I may it will never be enough. When I have a period of time when I am extremely sad or missing her so much, I have things made.  I also usually get things for the girls as well.
Pink-Sherry, Purple-Lynn, Yellow-Jenn, Pink-Wendy
Up close to see the ashes inside..they do not move
 I wanted a glass made bead and decided to make one for the girls as well. Bill was concerned that they might have an issue with the whole idea of the ashes. Wendy eagerly wanted one. Jenn was not quite so sure. But liked the idea once I showed her the pictures. I also created one for Heather’s BFF-Lynn. I didn’t give her a choice and just made her one.
Purple, Pink, Yellow, Pink..Stunning
They are so beautiful
 The beads are such that they go onto a Pandora style bracelet. I have a long-standing history with Helzberg Jewelry store and made my 3 bracelets and 1 necklace purchase there. I was actually not that impressed with the shipping off of the ashes. I did them in the way I knew to do them from when I had the diamond made and put tracking and confirmation on them as well. This process was not as carefree as the diamond was. I was kept in the dark the entire time. For me, this is not a cool thing. When the beads were shipped I was not given a tracking number so I was in the dark again. I did call the company to express my concerns.
Bracelet for Lynn, her and I share the butterfly..starfish for Heather's love of the beach
I had to make exchanges for Jenn’s bracelet and Wendy’s necklace. Helzberg Jewelry came out with a different kind of necklace and Jenn and I ended up with one of those. Wendy just wears hers on a chain. Lynn kept the bracelet idea. Me as the Mom, I have both the necklace and the bracelet. I move my bead back and forth between the two. Wendy and I both had pink beads made. Jenn’s bead is yellow and the purple one was for Lynn.
Jenn kept her necklace and loves her yellow bead
Wendy decides to just wear it thru a chain..necklace went back
 I feel that there is something very special to be able to reach and touch the bead. It just feels nice to know that Heather is close. It feels different than the other beads I have. It feels warm and like there is a connection between the bead and me.
My bracelet...I love all the charms..each one means something special

No comments:

Post a Comment