Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Aurora in the BLUE Dress...



Please bear with me here:

I know I have mentioned "The Ball" many times and also have spoken about the moment Heather knew she was Aurora. Thank you for your patience as you listen to me babble on and on as I do not have any new stories to tell you about Heather. I wish I had wedding photos and baby photos and and and to share with you, but I don’t. All I have is 21 short years of memories that for a Momy I am trying to deal with the best way I know how and find things that mean something to me. It is about trying to find a connection with someone I love with all my heart and I cannot touch her or see her or hear her.
When you hear the words “your child has cancer” your whole world and outlook on everything suddenly changes. You don’t see anything the same way again and your thought processes things in a weird new way. It was never a weird idea or thought to me to throw Heather the cancer survivor ball. It seemed to be the natural end and celebration to what was the most difficult time in all our lives. 
When I invited the doctors and nurses they were shocked and amazed at my idea. For one they had never heard of anyone throwing a party like this nor had they been invited to one. It was a black tie formal affair that would put most wedding receptions to shame. I spent weeks and months planning this party and looking for all the right invitations, decorations and food for the ball. The theme of the ball was never in question; The Grand Duchess Heather’s Cancer Survivor Ball. Of course it was to be princess themed as Heather was considered a princess at the hospital and the doctor’s office. Dr. Fastenberg once called for her from the waiting room as Princess Heather. The night she died the aide’s on 6 south told me they never had a real princess on the floor before and they never would again.

Now that things were falling into place the dress needed to be chosen. Heather always considered herself to be Aurora;

Aurora is 16 years old with long, golden blonde hair with curls at the end, violet eyes, rose red lips, and fair complexion. She's best described as kind, gentle, sweet, graceful and charming. (While I know Heather was not perfect these qualities seem to describe her very well, but she had crystal blue eyes.)

Heather wanted a pink dress like Aurora, since she is always depicted in the pink dress. We went to Susanna’s bridal and tried on many dressed but none of them seemed to be right. There was one that was found kind of in the back of the store and a defeated Heather decided to try it on. All I can say is the moment she turned around and saw herself the look in her eyes said she felt like a real princess and that this was THE DRESS. I had no idea at the time, that this was me and her picking out her wedding dress, as I will never get the opportunity to do that. The dress was BLUE and it was amazing. She just about cried when I told her yes she could have this dress. She changed her mind at that moment and decided to be Cinderella instead. She even found shoes that were mesh with crystals; the best she could do for a glass slipper.
Our doctors and nurses now our friends
The ball was amazing and a grand time was had by all. It was a royal ball for her royal highness like none other. When we arrived home she asked me if this was what it felt like to be a bride…I said yes. She hugged me and told me she loved me and that it was the best time ever. Of course again, I had no idea that this was her wedding as I would not get the opportunity to plan her wedding.

For her 21st Birthday we took a trip to Disneyland, her favorite place to be. The Walk Thru Sleeping Beauty Castle had just opened up after 9/11 and we took a trip thru the castle. Heather got ahead of me and then came running back to me all excited. I cannot put into words the emotions that she had. She was like nothing I had seen since the words cancer had come into our world. Her eyes sparkled with delight as she begged me to come see what she had found. What she had discovered was that when Aurora pricks her finger and “falls asleep” she was in the BLUE dress not the PINK dress. She just kept saying “I was Aurora, I was her I really was Aurora after all.” Now to you and me it doesn’t really matter, but to a 21 year old girl who had just survived two deadly forms of blood cancer it meant the world to her. She needed to know that she really was Aurora and it was very important to her to know that.
It was 4 months and 10 days after that delightful moment in time that Heather became my “Sleeping Beauty” only true love’s kiss will not wake her from her sleep this time. Heather was laid out in the BLUE dress, just like Aurora. She had a rose in her hand, just like Aurora and she looked beautiful, like Aurora. It has been five years, 4 months and 17 days since my “Sleeping Beauty” died. I keep finding more and more things that mean so much to me and that also include Aurora at the same time; like my NOAH painting of “Awaken The Beauty.” Today was the release of Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray. Of course The Disney Store had many things to go along with this release. When I was hired at The Disney Store I was so bummed to find out that they offered a pre-order Aurora doll in the PINK gown and I had missed it. BUT then I was elated last week as I learned that The Disney Store was going to release an Aurora limited Edition Doll in the BLUE dress. This is not just a want or another doll for me, this is the DOLL that when I look at her I will remember the delight in Heather’s eyes as she learned she was Aurora in the BLUE dress. So far, this doll has not come to my possession, but I am hopeful that I will be able to get her ordered online tonight at midnight. If not I will be paying all those high outrageous prices on Ebay for her. I may actually sell a couple of my collectable dolls that I purchased in the past.

I will say that in the movie Maleficent it is an amazing twist that the Prince does not wake the beauty, but Maleficent does. This movie is the back story of how Maleficent became who she is. It is quite interesting that this story shows Maleficent caring for Aurora like a mother would.

”Maleficent starts to protect Aurora, initially to ensure her survival until her curse can take effect, but eventually comes to see Aurora as a daughter, Aurora in return regarding Maleficent as her 'fairy godmother' until she learns the truth, displaying great affection for the Moors where Maleficent and other fairies dwell. When Aurora falls victim to the curse, it is Maleficent's motherly kiss to her forehead in regret for her actions that breaks the curse.”
Sleeping Beauty, Briar Rose, Aurora, Maleficent and anything else associated with the story is what I am drawn to. I can’t help but feel a connection to heather somehow. Thank you for once again reading about Heather, the ball and Sleeping Beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment