Monday, September 15, 2014

Guess Who Got A Job??...



A job is a job is a job, right? Not to everyone. The last time I worked a job outside of my home it was September, 1985 and thing were very different than they are today:

Gallon of gas $1.09
Now: $3.80
Movie Ticket $2.75
Now: $10.25
US Postage Stamp $0.22
Now: $0.46
Loaf of bread $0.50
Now: $1.98
Ground Beef $0.99lb
Now: $4.68
Average House Price $40,169
Now: $289,500
Reagan was president
Now: Obama-GAG
Terry Anderson was kidnapped in Beirut
Now: ISIS beheadings
The Food and Drug Administration approves a blood test for AIDS
Now: Ebola outbreak that is spreading
Microsoft Corporation releases the first version of Windows, Windows 1.0.
Now: Windows 8.1

There were no cell phones or pagers and dial up network was only something we had in our home because Bill needed it for work. We actually had to have a cradle and a plug the phone receiver into the cradle to get connected, but it was a way he could work from home before the internet was born.

I was a TBS operator and you may ask what in the world was my job, I was a phone solicitor, the annoying person calling asking for donations and money. I was also just about 3 months pregnant with Jennifer and we were days away from closing on our very first house. We had a poodle dog named Champion and a cat named Tatty.

They say if you dream a thing more than once, it’s sure to come true…
~Sleeping Beauty

I have been a homemaker for 29 years and I have taken great pride in my house and my family. My parties, food and treats are legendary and well are my holiday celebrations and decorations. It has been my greatest privilege to stay at home and raise our girls and support them as they grew. But life, with children they grow up and move out and have families of their own. While I still see my girls (well two of them) often it is not the same as having the extra people and conversation in the house on a daily basis.

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
~Walt Disney

I am very thankful that I was able to be at home with Heather during cancer and that I could be her caregiver without having to quit my job or it being a financial hardship for our family. In spite of everything that happened I really would not give back that time I spent with her, being her protector, nurse and Momy.

So what kind of a job would I fit into? I could be a personal trainer, or a nutritionist but those require schooling that for now I am not ready to spend the time to do. I applied over the summer at the Disney Store in Scottsdale but because of my family vacation cruise in December they refused to hire me. We have a Disney Store at San Tan and in the Chandler Mall. Jenny, my favorite Disney Store worker moved from San Tan to Chandler Mall several years ago. Jenny and I struck up a bond and I made her cry over Tangled. Bill goes to the mall nearly every day for lunch and figured out who Jenny was and began being my publicity manager.

Three weeks ago I had a group interview and then the following Sunday I had another smaller group interview with Jenny. After a back ground check and lots of waiting I am proud to announce that I am the newest DISNEY STORE CAST MEMBER!! I have my first job in 29 years and I am thrilled. For right now it is seasonal but the store has 2 part time positions that they will hire in January form the seasonal employees. Now I get to prove that I am the woman they want to continue working come January.

For with each dawn, she found new hope that someday, her dreams of happiness would come true.
~Cinderella

Yes, I stuck to my guns and did not cancel the vacation/cruise in December because of my job. I understand retail is busy and all employees are needed, but I have had this planned since LAST October. Jenny is willing to work with me and she completely understands the reason and meaning behind the trip. The Coombe/Shannon/Galusha-Luna/Akers and Dennis family will be heading to Orlando on December 10th (Heather and Sunnie’s birthday) the 11th will be a day in the Magic Kingdom and then we leave for a 3 days Bahamas Disney cruise. My goal is to work at the Disney Store forever so this will be the last Christmas vacation I make. But in the end it is just a job, but this is a job I will be awesome at and enjoy.

All you need is a little faith, trust, and Pixie Dust
~Peter Pan

No comments:

Post a Comment