Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Christmas Tree

What are holiday ornaments?
They seem to be something that we mindlessly hang on our Christmas tree with not much thought or reason as to why. But what is the story behind the ornament? Are they hand me down ornaments from family? New ones to make a special occasion? Or just some random thing you thought would look good on the tree? 
The last ornaments that Heather bought 2008
When I was growing up I had my own tree in my room. It was mine to put the lights on and decorate how I wanted to. One of my most beloved ornaments is the three wise kings bringing gifts to baby Jesus. These ornaments are old and made of felt and plastic. But they have adorned our family Christmas tree for the last 30 yrs and my tree 13 years before that.

I had a few ornament when Bill and I got married and one that he immediately took was what we call little Elf guy. He is a felt elf in a red suit and is very small. He has hung at the too of our tree for 30 years as well. Heather loved the elf guy and found herself her own elf guy but he was a bit larger than the little one on our tree. 
Elf Guy watching over Heather's baby ornament 
This year as it has been for the last four years our tree has the elf guy hanging up high so he can see the world, but there is another ornament that is places very close to him so that he keeps watch over it. That would be Heather's first baby ornament. Yes, each year I place her baby's first ornament on my tree in special remembrance of a baby girl born December 1987. I have a few other of her special ornaments that I hang on the tree like her chairman Starbucks cup and he Minnie Mouse ones. This makes it seem like her tree as well. 

On this season of remembering --it is the gifts that lay beneath your tree but who is around to celebrate it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment