Monday, December 31, 2012

Same Old Lang Syne...



In the Gregorian calendar, New Year's Eve (also Saint Silvester's Day in many countries), the last day of the year, is on December 31. In many countries, New Year's Eve is celebrated at evening social gatherings, where many people dance, eat, drink alcoholic beverages, and watch or light fireworks to mark the New Year. Some people attend a watch night service. The celebrations generally go on past midnight into January 1 which is NewYears Day.

One of the most prominent New Year's celebrations in the country is the "ball drop" held in New York City's Times Square. Inspired by the time balls that were formally used as a time signal, at 11:59 p.m. ET, a 11,875-pound (5,386 kg), 12-foot (3.7 m) diameter Waterford crystal ball located on the roof of One Times Square is lowered down a pole that is 77 feet high, reaching the roof of the building at exactly midnight to signal the start of the New Year. The Ball Drop has been held since 1907, and in recent years has averaged around a million spectators yearly. The popularity of the spectacle also inspired similar "drop" events throughout the country, sometimes lowering objects representing the region (such as Atlanta's "Peach Drop", representing Georgia's identity as the "Peach State") Alongside these, some American cities and towns also hold First Night events; which aim to provide a family-oriented celebration centered around local arts and culture.
Just a few hours until 2012 will come to an end. Most people look forward to the New Year with great anticipation. They make New Year’s resolutions that they fail to keep till the end of the month. It is a time of new beginnings and all the “sins” of the last year are wiped away, or so it seems. Life is about choices and for every choice you make there are consequences both good and bad. Some choices can be erased and some you will have to live with for many years to come.
Flowers for Christmas-Thomas Kinkade
Food for open house
 For me I personally have never really done much to celebrate the New Year. Some years I have not even made it till midnight to see the New Year turn over. Somehow it all seems a bit silly to try to change into something we are not just because it is a new year. If you are truly committed to making a change then make the decision and start that day. To lose weight or exercise and get into shape, why wait one more day? Do it now. Don’t wait till January first as some big event to help you. Because after January first comes January second..the eighth and finally the thirty-first. All you will have lost is 31 days if your mind is not set to make the change no matter what the change may be.
Table set for Christmas Dinner
 Our last year coming from 2008-2009 I knew what my wish for the New Year was. I wanted Heather to stay in remission and be healthy. I thought that 2009 could not possibly8 be any worse than 2008. Boy did I have eye opening 2009. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine a year could be so bad. I know Heather’s wish for the New Year was to be alive and cancer free. But somehow I feel that Heather knew she was not going to be here much longer. I honestly think people have a sense about these things. It breaks my heart to think she knew her time was short.
 Our house had lots of changes in 2012 as all the kids moved out; we did some remodeling and Daisy our dog of over 14 years died. The house had become very quiet. Well, a Christmas gift that was given to me early has changed all that quiet. Bill not even wanting another pet went looking for a cat on Dec 20. Of course he found the sweetest little girl that crawled into his lap and began to purr. He went back to work without getting the kitten but had to call later in the day to see if she was still there. The adoption center said she was still there but a family was looking at her. Bill left work and went to the adoption center immediately. I was gone for the evening with Jenn for a wedding dress fitting. When I came home bill was locked in the laundry room with a little orange tabby kitten. I was in total shock and disbelief that he bought me a kitten. Once before for my birthday in 1985 he got me a kitten.
First photo
Sleeping together
 The kitten spent most of the first night in the laundry room. I wanted to make sure she knew where her box was. At 5am I heard her and came down to let her out. I ended up sleeping on the couch…with the kitten on top of me till about 10am. Bill left for work but not before he took a photo of the kitten and me sleeping. That day I was busy cooking and preparing for our Christmas open house and the kitten would not leave me alone. She had to be right where I was and even at one point was sleeping in my feet. Violet came over during the afternoon and said she wanted her name to be Marie, but then decided on Ginger. So for now her name is “Ginger Spice” but she is also called “lil kid” and “Carl”. (Carl is from the Geico commercial with the two gazelles with night vision goggles that are watching a lion named Carl stalking them. They say we can totally see you Carl…)
Overseeing so things are right
Helping me wash dishes
 Mutts was Heather’s favorite comic and it seems very appropriate that for the holidays this year they had many cat comics with “Mooch” and “Noodles”. “Noodles” is the orange tabby from Mutts. Maybe I just noticed the cat comics more this year.
 “Ginger” has taken over our home, lives and hearts. She is such a joy to have around. It has been a long time since we had any new pet life in the house. The last cat we got was about 9 months old and then Daisy was a puppy 14 years ago. “Ginger” is very spoiled and has so many toys and a great cat climbing tree. She loves crinkle balls and plays with toys more than any kitten I have even seen. She sleeps with us every night and is a true joy. Heather would have loved her so much. Wendy calls “Ginger” her sister…lol
Snookie taking good care of Ginger
 All the 7 Christmas trees and decorations have been put away. While I love Christmas and the lights I also love the feel of the house being back to normal. It is another tradition for me to try to have all the Christmas down before the New Year comes around. Kind of out with the old with the new year. Tonight we had Sunnie, Wendy and Snookie come over and spend some time with us. Other than that we don’t have anything planned. No I don’t have any resolutions. I exercise and I am at my goal weight. I just want to continue this lifestyle and stay this way.
Meowy Christmas & Happy New Year!!
 One of my favorite songs about the New Year is from Dan Fogelberg. I am sure if you are 35 or older you know what I am speaking about and If not then listen to the YouTube song and get some good music for the New Year.

"Same Old Lang Syne" is a song sung by Dan Fogelberg released as a single in 1980. It was also included on his 1981 album The Innocent Age. The song is a narrative ballad told in the first person and tells the story of two long-ago lovers meeting by chance in a grocery store on Christmas Eve. The song peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart and is now frequently played during the holiday season and is integrated with traditional Christmas songs.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!! Be safe and healthy

No comments:

Post a Comment