Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Unexpected...


Gone, but not forgotten*

Ours for a little while, with Jesus forever*
 
We buried Heather’s ashes on Monday April 23 and I went back on Wednesday and ordered the marker. I was told at the time it would be 4-6 weeks before I saw a proof. The proof is a mockup of what the actual marker will look like. This would give me opportunity to change anything at that time. Some proofs come and they are approved the first time. Others take 4-5 redo’s before they are satisfied with the marker. I wasn’t sure how I would do with this. Heather’s marker is pretty simple and I was hoping the proof would be right the first time. From the time the proof is approved it is 3-4 months before the finished marker is completed and ready to be placed on the grave.

Forever in our hearts*

Always in our hearts*
Duchess's tiara
As it had been 6 weeks and then 7 weeks I had begun to call Daniel about every week just to see where the proof might be. I was beginning to worry that the October 20 dedication would either not be able to be held or it would be done without the marker. Time is growing short and I would really like to have a bigger time frame so mistakes could be made. There was a n issue with the font and I had to change to a different one. This was not a big deal for me. Then there were some questions about the photo. But there had been no more questions come up for a couple of weeks.

Entered into rest*

Until we meet again*

Last week on one of my daily visits I decided to go see Daniel personally in the office and just chek one more time as to where the proof might be. I apologized again for being a pest and asked if there was any news about the marker yet. He said no but he should be getting something any day now. I reminded him it had been 8 weeks and it seemed like too long. He told me he would go ask Deb who deals with the marker companies directly if she had any more information. He came back carrying a long thin cardboard box and told me he thought I might like to see what Heather’s marker could look like…

Too well loved to ever be forgotten*

Ours for a little while, with Jesus forever*

I was expecting to see someone else’s marker that had just come in as an example. He laid down the marker and it took a moment for it to sink in that I was looking at Heather’s marker…It was completely finished and placed in front of me…
No words to be uttered
I could not utter a word; the tears began to fall as I ran my fingers over her name and dates, the tiara and roses. I was shaking and could not believe what I was looking at. Her name written in stone…it is final and permanent. Not like it wasn’t before, this just really makes it all hit home. Daniel asked me if this was a good response and all I could do was shake my head yes. My throat closed up and no words would come out. I actually have never experienced tears or crying to the point that I could not utter a word. But since Heather died I find that many moments are just that way.

In Loving Memory of*

The song is ended, but the melody lingers on*
Black and white photo going in oval
When I could speak I told him it was beyond my expectations and so beautiful. He stood back and let me have my moment with her marker. He is very good about not rushing me or saying anything. A good funeral man knows when to talk and when to be silent. Daniel is very very good at this. I just ran my fingers over and over it touching and trying to take in every inch of it. It is beautiful and horrible all at the same time. I wanted to take it home with me and also throw it away. We are waiting for the black and white photo to come in. That will be glued in and then the whole marker will be placed on white granite and then placed on her grave. This should be in the next couple of weeks.

Loving memories last forever*

We miss you very much and love you dearly*
*Most used quotes used on markers today.

I am relieved that it has come in so early. I think at least Bill and I need time to get used to the marker being on her grave before the dedication. In 8 weeks I have gotten very used to her spot. I go about every day and sometimes I play I heart radio on the country stations that she loved. I sit or lay and listen to the birds and the music. I know it seems a very odd thing to do each day. But to me it is very relaxing. I have not been staying long since it is so hot right now. I can’t wait to have the marker in. I am going everyday right now as I am sure they will dig the hole before the marker is placed or it will just be placed. Daniel will call me but I think I will know before him. Hoping it will be in before the 4of July.
And she lives happily ever after...

No comments:

Post a Comment