Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Spoonful of Sugar...

                     Mr. Banks: Just a moment, Mary Poppins. What is the meaning of 
                               this outrage?
               Mary Poppins: I beg your pardon?
               Mr. Banks: Will you be good enough to explain all this?
               Mary Poppins: First of all, I would like to make one this quite clear.
               Mr. Banks: Yes?
               Mary Poppins: I never explain anything....

When we walked into Disneyland we headed as fast as we could to the Indiana Jones ride. Next would be Pirates of the Caribbean and then Haunted Mansion. This was a Coombe Family tradition for most of our visits to Disneyland. Many photos were taken standing in line waiting for the ride and also coming out of the ride. Many nights for the last rides, we would go on It’s A Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean and then Bill, Wendy and Heather would run to Indiana Jones then Jenn and I would go to Haunted Mansion. By the time we all met up again the park would be closed. Most nights Bill, Wendy and Jenn would go back to the hotel but Heather and I would close down the shops. Heather would put her arm in my arm and beg, please momy, please stay and shop. She then would give me her Doop eyes look and of course I stayed. She and I walked arm in arm back to the hotel well after 1am most nights.
Now, we have to find new way to come into Disneyland. This trip Bill and I rode Peter Pan’s Flight as our first ride. We spent time in Fantasyland first. Part of this is because Pirates and Haunted Mansion were closed the whole time. Honestly, Haunted Mansion is not the ride it once was. I can actually leave it and not ride it anymore. It is done in fun and not really scary, it is just the whole death thing and the grave yard at the end. To a mother who has lost a child it just isn’t a fun ride anymore.
A couple new wonderful treasures were bought at Disneyland this time. I am really into artwork, paintings and very limited or exclusive treasures. The common things are nice, but I want something to really stand out. So I found 3 different paintings that really called my name and one needed to come home with me. There was a stunning Beauty and the Beast painting done in mostly shades of yellow. It was very unique and was # 2/150. I also found a Winnie The Pooh that was amazing. It was a huge tree with the leaves turning orange and red and beginning to fall. At the bottom of the tree is a small opening and Pooh is sitting there. At first look it is leaves that are falling around him, however get closer and you notice they are butterflies flying around him. Finally I saw a Mary Poppins painting that was very different. It is not Mary Poppins, but all of the things or belongings that make you think of Mary Poppins.
As a young girl we had a movie theater in the small community where I grew up called the Allen Theater. It was located downtown where all the stores were. My parents would go shopping every Saturday and they gave me 0.75 cents to go see the matinee movie at the theater. One of the many movies I saw at the theater was Mary Poppins. I fell in love with Julie Andrews at that moment. I probably saw Mary Poppins about 6 times and The Sound Of Music about 13 times. Heather shared my love of Mary Poppins and Julie Andrews. Heather had purchased several Mary Poppins items from Disneyland in the past. So, with the hat, the shoes, the carpet bag, the tape measure, the bottle of medicine and 2 spoons, the lamp, the torn letter, the fireplace, the bird handled umbrella, the robin, the blocks, the water globe of the cathedral, the plant, and the toppins, it proudly is displayed in my private art gallery. It is such a wonderful collection of the items that describe the movie.
The 2nd treasure was a bottle of perfume. The perfume itself is not a Disney exclusive. You can purchase it in any department store. However the difference is that the day I purchased it, the artist was there painting the perfume bottles. Naturally, I had to have a hand painted bottle of perfume purchased from Disneyland. We all need to remember that Heather’s statement was that you are never fully dressed till you have your perfume on. It is your signature. I told the sales person the story of what Heather’s thoughts were and that she died. She told the artist to do an extra special job on mine. She also added swarvorski crystals to the flowers and butterflies. When we went back to pick up the bottle, the whole shop knew my story and all wanted to see the bottle. It is beyond beautiful.
We are planning to go back right before Christmas. This will be one more step forward and bittersweet as the last time we went as a whole family it was for Heather’s 21st birthday. It was all decorated for Christmas and nothing was taken for granted that this was a huge celebration for all of us. Disneyland has so many memories that come rushing to the surface. Being there at Christmas time will bring back even more. Why do I want to go there all the time? Why do I put myself through the memories? I feel Heather’s presence there more than any other place on earth. I feel her with me every moment. So, it is worth the memories and the pictures that I get in my head to go to Disneyland as often and as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment