Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother In Love...

Not flesh of my flesh
Nor bone of my bone
You didn't grow under my heart
But In it....
~Unknown~

I first met Margaret Coombe in January 1980. Her family had begun attending my home church in Farmington New Mexico. When Bill and I first began dating she was concerned for my age. She accepted me simply because I was important to her son. I remember thinking that she was quite beautiful with her long hair and her red fingernails. She seemed to be the perfect mom. She couldn't be real. These "real" moms didn't exist in my world.
Cheryl, Margaret & me~Easter 1983
 My interaction with Margaret was limited. In the beginning it was only when Bill was home from college. I took a couple trips with with his family before we were married. I remember thinking it was so nice to be able to talk to Margaret. She listened to me and actually thought I had something to say. I called her nearly everyday and we talked for hours. Her nickname for me was "Yakkie" because I talked so much. She didn't think me silly with my ideas. When I graduated from high school, Margaret gave me a surprise party afterwards. Complete with gifts and a decorated cake. When I found my wedding dress she was the only one to see the dress before the wedding. She was eager and happy to be included in looking at my dress. She also agreed to make the wedding cake and it was beautiful.
Surprise graduation party 12/82
Wedding day-9/10/83~cake by mom
Mom was a multi-talented woman. She could crochet the most beautiful afghans and dollies. She sewed everything from fancy formal taffeta prom dresses to baby dresses, doll clothes and pillows. She could bake the most heavenly desserts and her chocolate chips cookies are legendary. Mom's secret was Crisco instead of butter and then bake a minute less. She could also decorate cakes too. She could cook like no one else on earth. Her meals were famous. Several recipes made it into the paper. But she will forever be known for her hot rolls. There was nothing that she was not willing to try. Mom accepted and loved everyone. Her home was open to anyone. She made you feel like family when you were there.
Shawls made for the girls without a pattern-Jenn and Heather
Mom even played tennis....lol
 I could not cook really at all when Bill and I got married. I managed a few things but nothing like what Mom could make. She lovingly worked with me till I could cook just like her. She taught me how to make a roast and a meatloaf in a cast iron skillet in the oven. It gives it a flavor unlike any other I have ever tasted. Cooking all ground beef in the iron skillet is a must. Another favorite that she made was a homemade from scratch German Chocolate Cake. I think the first one I made there were at least a dozen calls made as well. I could never have imagined cooking an entire Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner when I was younger. We always went home for the holidays so no need for me to learn how. But when we moved to Minnesota it was not possible to go to Mom's for the holidays. My first Thanksgiving meal was made in 1991. This included one turkey, lots of trimmings and about 100 phone calls across country to ask what I did next and was this suppose to happen. She taught me I should never be scared to try any recipe or change it to fit my style.
She was an avid fisherwoman...
Jenn, Bill, Sherry, Dad, Heather and Mom~May 1988
 Once Mom moved to the Valley we saw more of each other. She was then able to attend the girls activities. But her health began to fail. Once a week I would make her favorite tater tot casserole and we would go over for a visit. One of the last times we had together was when I took her for a bone marrow biopsy. At the time I had no clue and this procedure was performed in office. I held Mom's hands as she winced in pain and tried my best to talk and comfort her. I remember thinking I was glad I was with her during this. I then took her out to lunch. She was so happy and thrilled to ride in my new yellow Xterra. It was a good day. Less than a month later Mom died.
Fellow Teddy Bear Lover
Mom loved her family. She especially loved the grandkids. Mom was thrilled when Jenn learned to crochet. They would sit and crochet together. Jenn made her a dollie for Christmas. Mom said it was the first time she had ever gotten something crocheted given to her. Wendy and Heather loved to polish Mom's nails. Wendy liked to do her toe nails and Heather loved the red long fingernails. Mom would also let the girls put pins and pretties in her hair.  

  No woman ever loved me the way that Margaret Coombe loved me. She truly was a mother to me. I feel that she molded and shaped me into the woman that I am today. She taught me to cook, patiently. I learned to decorate and throw parties from her as well. She was a truly great lady and I miss her terribly. She was the center of the family. I tried for many years to have the family holidays at my house. Everyone always came and enjoyed themselves. The decorations and food was just like Mom was still here. After she died, Jenn taught me to crochet. This would have been the best thing ever to have Mom, Jenn and me all sitting around crocheting. Someday in heaven Mom and I will crochet; and Jenn and Heather will knit. It will be quite the reunion.
The day before Mom died, Heather sat there so tenderly and loving as she removed the old polish and then painted her nails bright red. She said  "When Grandma meets Jesus, she needs to have her nails looking good.  "  Heather was not afraid to touch or talk to her Grandma. I know that Mom was waiting with open arms when Heather got to heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment