Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Three Bears...

If you go out in the woods today
You're sure of a big surprise.
If you go out in the woods today
You'd better go in disguise.
For ev'ry bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's the day the Teddy Bears have their picnic...
~Teddy Bear Picnic-Jimmy Kennedy~

When I was in 3rd grade I told a lie to the class and teacher for show and tell. For most kids this would not be an issue. However, Jo Beth, (adopted mother) was a teacher at the school. This was not a good thing as she found out about what I had said. Later that week I was required to write thank you notes for some gifts I had received, and told her I could not think of anything to write. Jo Beth told me "that with my creative mind I should be able to think of something to write in my notes." I did learn my lesson and have tried to turn my creative talents for good use over the years.

When I found out I was pregnant with each one of the girls, I wrote creative letters to announce my pregnancy to family and friends. The first one was to describe a car/baby theme. The middle one was a story about a family of bears. The last one was done as a news story in the paper.

"Three Bears Live In Colorado Springs"
 Once upon a time there were three bears:
Daddy Bear-Bill Coombe
Mama Bear-Sherry Coombe
Baby Bear-Jenny Coombe

They were very happy with their little family, living in their nice house in Colorado Springs. But since life is different from "Fairy Tales," this is to announce the coming of "Baby Bear" number two. Coming out of hibernation sometime in mid-December. Daddy Bear and mama Bear assured the family this type of "Baby Bear" will not be born with fur--that usually grows in a year later.

This is the end of my story of the "Three Bears in Colorado Springs." We hope that everyone enjoys the new version of our story.
The Three Bears

When I took the photo of this I noticed the date at the top. I did not begin to remember that this was sent April 23, 1987. I wrote journals to the babies from the moment I found out I was pregnant. I had to find Heather's book to see when I found out. I found out I was pregnant on April 14, 1987. I find it so ironic all the dates in April that are associated with Heather.
Pregnancy announcement for Heather
 I was and am a teddy bear collector. All 3 of the girls in growing up have managed to take one of my bears to be their own at some time during their lives. Jenn took "Frizzy Bear" when she was two.We managed to find another one for her to have but she managed to lose that one. My "Frizzy Bear" became Jenn's when we could no find another one. Wendy took "Nadine Bear Fuzzybottom" when she was 7. Wendy and "Nadine" were never apart. "Nadine" has an enormous amount of clothes for a bear and managed to be on stage in the Peter Pan dance with Wendy. Heather took a dark, chocolate brown bear. He was floppy and kind of scruffy looking. He did not have a name and Heather felt that BPS-Bear Protective Services needed to step in. Heather took this bear named him "Edison" and refused to return him to me. She was a teenager at the time. She felt that "Ed" had such character.

Heather became attached to "Edison" very quickly. Honestly not till I saw him, did I really remember that she took him. I could not bear to take him away from her. She seemed to love him so much. I would tease her about needing to find me another bear just like "Edison". Heather looked and looked but could never find a Gund bear like "Edison". She told me she would give him back to me and I told her no. But she never gave up her search for a replacement bear.
Edison
I received an unexpected call one evening from Heather. She was at the mall and had found a Gund bear that looked like "Edison". This bear was not the same color but it was the same bear. She was telling me it was the only one the Hallmark had and she didn't have enough money to buy the bear. She was going to hide the bear and hope to go back to get him the next day. While she was on the phone with me a lady overheard her telling me the story and gave her the money needed to buy this bear. The lady told her that she wanted her to buy this bear for her mother..a gift to your mother is priceless. Heather was thrilled as she ran into the house to give me the bear.

I did not know that Gund bears are made in Edison, New Jersey. It states that on the tag. Hence the name "Edison". Once Heather returned home with the new bear, she told me how she got the name and that this bear's name needed to come from a city in New Jersey. So, this mustand colored bear with the same color ribbon as "Edison" became "Brighton". He looked the same only he was a different color. I figured Heather was finished with her quest for a replacement bear. But not so. Not my Heather. Never...
Edison's tag on his back
 Right before Christmas, JC Penneys salon had a gift set of hair care products. The difference was this gift set came with a Gund bear. A Gund bear that looked like "Edison" but only a caramel color with stars on the ribbon around his neck. So, needless to say, Heather bought the hair care set of a shampoo and conditioner so she could get this bear and give him to me. Again, the name had to come from a city in New Jersey. This caramel colored bear that looked like "Edison"  became "Brunswick".
Edison, Brighton and Brunwick
Heather managed to find on the internet a brand new dark, chocolate brown "Edison" bear. Once this bear arrived it was clear he was not the same. The new "Edison" was stuffed too much. But again, Heather gave this bear to me and vowed that she was finished looking for a replacement bear. She had paid her debt. But this bear was known as the "fake Edison".

"Edison" or "Ed" as Heather called him most the time went everywhere with Heather. He took 2 trips to Myrtle beach, many trips to Disneyland and Prescott and visited the windy city of Chicago. "Edison" loves Kenny Chesney's No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service. He bopped his head whenever the song came on (with Heather's help). Heather slept with him every night. He was snuggled to death by Heather and her blankies. "Edison" went to the hospital with her as well. But he was very scared and didn't like it much. The one time Heather thought she could leave him home, Bill made a trip at 11pm to bring "Edison" to the hospital. "Edison" was with her in ICU and when she died.
Brave Edison in the food tray at the hospital with his napkin blanket
Many parents when their child dies, take their beloved stuffed animal and place them in the casket to go with them. Heather loved "Edison" so much I could not bear to be parted from him. So, I placed the "fake Edison" in with Heather and I kept her "Edison". He gives me great comfort. I sleep with "Edison" every night. Many nights I feel the need to snuggle with him before falling asleep. "Edison" stares out of his dark glassy eyes and I know he misses her too....

No comments:

Post a Comment