Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Our Beautiful Heather...

Today is 24 months since Heather died. I think that in many ways it gets harder not easier as time goes on. This situation is permanent and nothing can change that. Check back as I did get my Heather diamond and I will share photos of this stunning ring later.

When you are in the hospital the way that Heather was, you form bonds with the nurses. You see them day in and day out, week in and week out. They become a family to you. They see you and your family at the best and worst times in your life. I am happy and saddened that I have found many kindred spirits among the nurses that Heather had. They truly loved her and me (I say me because I was the one mostly there all the time) and our family. Many of these cherished nurses are family to me. I love each and every one of them.

Being in ICU is much different than being on a regular floor in the hospital. The nurses interact with the family more if not all of the time. The patients in ICU are so critical that the family members are usually the only ones talking. As Heather's health declined we were given Kim as out night nurse. She was a God send. This lady is amazing. Kim met Heather on Thursday night. Heather was alert and able to talk with her. On Friday night Kim was the nurse that helped to vent her. Even though Kim only had a night and a half of getting to know Heather herself, over the next few weeks she got to know us. Kim pushed to have Racheal be our night nurse when Kim had days off. Again, Racheal never met Heather, but she loved her and took the best care of her. Kim knew that Racheal would be the best one for Heather when she was on nights off.

This is a email that was sent at 7:44 pm on April 20, 2008. I honestly do not remember reading this email, but did have the good sense to save it. I have no words to say other than I love you Kim and thank you for loving our family.

Heather has the easy part here.  When her time comes, she will be in the loving arms of Jesus.  It is your wonderful family that will miss her so.  In case you wonder, if Heather had survived she would have very likely had severe breathing problems and possibly even an enlarged heart that no longer functioned well.  I understand what you are saying about her brain function, I went through it with my father. It would make it so much easier. YOU DID EVERYTHING YOU COULD FOR HER.  Your devotion to your daughter has touched us all.  Thank you for allowing us to be there with you and I hope sometimes for you.  I talked to Racheal last night and today and we both spoke about how it felt to barely know Heather but love her so much anyway.  I can only imagine how it must be for people who really knew her.  I keep remembering how I would smooth her hair back from her forehead and talk to her and feel such tenderness.  I really can't explain it except that she must be very special and the apple really does not fall far from the tree.  
I love you both, Kim.

No comments:

Post a Comment