Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Heather Gets Her Bunny For Christmas....

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day.
"Does it mean having things that buzz inside you 
and a stick-out handle?"
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. 
"It's a thing that happens to you. 
When a child loves you for a long, long time, 
not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, 
then you become Real."
"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful.
"When you are Real you don't mind being hurt." 
~The Velveteen Rabbit~


It is with a very sad and broken heart that I announce that Mr. B has gone to be with Heather. I received a call from Dr. Wright and he explained that the stone was so large that it had ruptured the membrane around his bladder. He could remove the stone, but they could not repair the membrane. Mr. B would suffer a long and painful death with the bladder contents spilling into his blood. I had discussed the day before that I didn't want to save Mr. B if it was not in the best interest of him. So, the decision was made to have him put to sleep. Dr. Wright's office made a clay impression of Mr. B's paw for me to keep. I also am having him cremated and the ashes returned to me. I will find a spot for Mr. B and Heather to be together.
Clay impression of Mr. B's paw
 This was a huge hole placed in my heart again for many reasons.  It is very ironic, almost to the point of being sick, that Mr. B died on Monday Dec 20th~one year and 8 months to the day and date that Heather died. Wow..that is unreal. Mr. B was a link to Heather. She loved him so much and I felt that somehow having him here was having a piece of Heather still here. I also gave Mr. B special attention and extra treats. He was not just a bunny. He was someone to take care of that meant a lot to Heather.
The bag the clay impression came in..
Mr. B had such beautiful brown eyes. I have 2 other bunnies, but their eyes don't have the look and feel that Mr. B's eyes did. He loved to come out and lay next me. I could pet him for hours and when I stopped he would take his nose and nudge my hand to pet him more. he loved to have his nose petted. For a long time he would come and lay right by my feet as I sat in my chair. I would foot pet him for a long time as well. Mr. B's cage has been in our office/family room for 7 years. It looks very bare since everything has been taken out.
Mr. BB Bunnykins
As long as I have been alive I have never had to have a pet put to sleep. I had a cat run over once when I was 10 years old. That is as close as I have come to having a pet die. I have never kept a pet long enough to have this happen. It is no where near the loss of Heather, but it still made me sob uncontrollably yesterday. Then for the rest of the day I could cry at the drop of a hat. It is a loss all over again. Just when I think I am doing good something comes a long that knocks me back down again. I do believe that animals go to heaven. I think that God loves them and knows that they are such great comforts and friend to us here on earth. God would not have something so special just disappear. So I know that Heather and Mr. B are together and having a great time together.
Heather and Mr. B~together~as it should be
Heather loved the comic strip "For Better or For Worse". She liked the middle daughter Elizabeth. One day in the comic strip, Elizabeth brought home a bunny from a farm trip she took. They named the bunny Mr. Sheldon Fuzzlewhite Bumworthy or Mr. B for short. Heather adored the name Mr. B. When we got our Mr. B his name was "Cinnamon". Heather instantly changed it to Mr. BB Bunnykins or Mr. B. How she came up with that I do not know...but I do know that Mr. B came from the comic strip. She also called him Mr. Fuzzy Buns and could be heard telling him to get his Easter Kester over to her...

No comments:

Post a Comment