Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pachabel's Canon...

Suppose you were only allowed 5 words to save the life of a friend...What would they be?

I asked this question on Facebook and I got one answer that really answered this question...
"Please Lord take me instead"

 This question was what E. B. White contemplated when he began to write the book Charlotte's Web. Of course we know the famous 5 words are Some Pig, Terrific, Radiant and Humble. These words were written in the spider's web to save the life of Wilbur the pig. The love of Charlotte for Wilbur is quite remarkable. It is interesting to think that animals could care about other animals this way. But the spider freely would give her life to save her friend...and in the end she does as she writes her last words in her web.

Charlotte's sacrifice is no different than that of a mother's love for her child. Mother's beginning giving up things the moment the baby is conceived. She gives up her body for the growing baby inside. Then gives up her wants and dreams to make sure her child has a life that is "perfect". A mother that has had a child with an illness knows all too well the words, "Please Lord take me instead". I am not making light of any mother that has lost a child in a different way...but to have to fight for the very life of your child bonds mother and child in a way that is like no other. Praying by a sick bed side; holding hands in comfort as procedures are done; wishing beyond all hope that it was you in that bed instead.Then helping your child as she throws up every 20 minutes for over 2 hrs; laying in the hospital bed at night and holding her hands to fall asleep so she will not be afraid. Listening to her every breath as she struggle to breathe; watching in horror as things are totally out of your control as you see her failing. Finally, trying to continue on with life after she is gone....
What is so amazing is I went through Heather's things when I packed them. I packed her room. Every single thing I touched or looked at. But, all these months later I go through her things and find things I have never seen before. I am painting the living and dining room. They have not been painted in the 16 years we have lived here. Heather's grand piano is in the living room. So all her piano music is sitting in there as well. As I went through her music again I found something I had not seen before. Heather loved to play classical and old gospel music. She took her hand at composing by putting Pachabel's Canon and Seek Ye First together in her own composition. I didn't realize that she had handwritten every single note on paper. I found her hand written copy of this music she composed. How I remember hearing this beautiful piece of music she composed. I can still hear the notes in my head. I would love to hear her play the piano one more time.
In all of Heather's piano recitals there was always a program. So she kept most all the programs from her recitals. I was looking through a couple of them and totally forgot that one year for the Piano Ensemble Concert program, Heather's artwork was one of three that was used for the cover. It is very similar to the stained glass piano box that she made for her piano teacher, Fran, and herself. It was so bittersweet to go through all the drawers and see all her music and music tests she took for awards. She still had all her piano ribbons from the tests she took each year. She was so proud of her accomplishments in music.
All the piano music is back in the drawers, the walls are painted a nice welcoming yellow and the new window toppers add a splash of color. Heather's grand piano sits silently closed up. Back in the front windows where she loved to sit and play at night so passersby could see her. The music that once rang out in the house just a distant memory that runs around in my thoughts from time to time....

So..what would be your five words to save the life of a friend?...

No comments:

Post a Comment