Wednesday, October 27, 2010

King Lear....

Mr. Magorium; "When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He's written "He dies". That's all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is "He dies". It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with "He dies." And yet every time I read those two words I am overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words "He dies," but because of the life we saw prior to the words.

Mr. Magorium; I've lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking you to turn the page, continue reading....and let the next story begin. And if anyone ever asks what became of me, you my relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest "he died."

Molly Mahoney: I love you.

Mr. Magorium:  I love you too..Your life is an occasion. Rise to it.....
~Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium~

During the end of 2007 and beginning of 2008, Heather knew that something was wrong but had no clue what it was. She began skipping classes and going to watch movies. The 3 that she watched over and over and over again were "Alvin and The Chipmunks", "Enchanted" and "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium".  Heather remembered watching the Chipmunk movies that played in the 90's with the Chipettes. She fell in love with Amy Adams who plays Giselle and just flat out was obsessed with Enchanted. She also was in love with Patrick Dempsey. Natalie Portman plays the lead in Mr. Magorium...Heather fell in love with her from the movie "Where The Heart Is". The music in Mr. Magorium is simply amazing.  And Natalie Portman plays the piano in the movie as well. The movie is about moving on after a life has ended. If only we all had a bit of magic to make the toy store come to life once again. 
Barbies, dried flowers, Graduation hat etc...
Heather was not prepared to leave as Mr. Magorium was in the movie. Mr. Magorium left his toy store to Molly and everything was right with the world once again. I have no idea who Heather wanted to have her things go to. I am certain that had she known she was leaving so soon she would have written letters and cards and given her things away to people she loved and cared about. 
Polly Pockets, Tea Bunnies, Cupcake dolls etc...
Heather was thinking about her future. Her future job, future husband and future children. She was so good that she saved many of her toys from her childhood to share with her girls. She has tons of Polly Pockets and Barbies. She saved bunnies and toys and pins and stuffies. I recently looked into the huge buckets of stuffed animals that Heather had in the garage. I opened the buckets..looked at a few animals and the memories came flooding back. So I put the lid back on and placed the buckets back where they were. Not one stuffy left the buckets...yes I said buckets; 2-96 gallon buckets full of assorted stuffies and 1-96 gallon bucket full of Mickeys and Minnies.
Barbies, Beauty and the Beast, toys,badge from music camp, etc
Heather had 21 years of memories and collectibles that she had treasured. Of course all the things that she had so lovingly packed away are very hard to find a new home for. There are statues, plaques, trophies, awards and everything else you could imagine stored in buckets under my bed. She loved the movie Beauty and the Beast. One year for Christmas we got her a Beauty and the Beast mirror that lights up and says "show me the beast." She kept this for all these years. Her original Belle doll is long gone, but the original dress and winter cloak are stored in the bucket. She recently bought a new Belle doll that was just to treasure. Her original Avon Beast mirror and comb set is still in the bucket as well. Of course none of these things will be going anytime soon.
Original Belle dress, Belle, Mirror w/comb, talking mirror
Then I move on to all of Heather's jewelry. Most of it is costume things she picked up that looked good with a shirt or something. I have all of the special "real" jewelry that we gave her for birthdays and graduation. In looking through her jewelry I found that she had saved some of her very first sets of earrings from when she was 4 years old. But this should not surprise me as she saved the gold locket that she wore in her 3 year old photos. Most of her younger earrings are bunnies, but she did keep the very first pair of minnie mouse earrings that I gave her. Not to mention that Heather kept her very first jewelry box. It was the kind that every little girls gets. You wind it up and the rose or the doll inside turns to the music. She kept all her beloved bunny pins and treasures inside it. What oh what to do with these...and the millions of memories that come back as I look at each things she has stored.
Original jewelry box...and all the things in it
Ladybugs, minnie, 2 pairs of bunnies and penny earrings
For now and probably many many years to come I will save and keep most all of Heather's treasured items. They will go with me from place to place until I can part with them or until the girls have to deal with all the things that I kept. "But I do know that she is not asking me to be happy that she is gone. She is only asking that I turn the page and continue reading...and let the next story begin. And when people ask what became of her, I will relate her life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest "She died"....."

Skip ahead to the time 4:25 on the time bar to find this part of the movie..listen to the words and the music...if you have not seen this movie..please rent it and listen to the amazing music in this extra ordinary movie....

2 comments:

  1. I was looking at Disney memorabilia online and found your blog. What a unique way to help yourself heal and, at the same time, reach out to others whose lives were shattered by the loss of their children. If you can ever find it in your heart to part with it, I would love to give a home to her beautiful talking mirror. I work for a company that caters to little ones' birthday parties with costumed characters. If it's too painful to consider I understand completely; I've just always held the story of Beauty and the Beast very dearly in my heart and being able to serenade little princesses with her mirror and bringing them the boundless joy of seeing their very own Disney Princess coming to life might be a way to help her live on in the hearts of others. In any case, I hope your journey brings you peace and comfort. Thank you so much for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this while looking for tea bunnies. I am sorry for your loss. I was wanting to know if you ever wanted to sell the tea bunnies. If not I completely understand. Just know if they do, they would be going to a great home, my collection goes behind glass where they can be treasured by all. My email is kitten74108@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete