Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Someone Please Remember....

I have been told that as long as one person remembers Heather she will never be really gone. As time goes by I really begin to wonder if anyone remembers her at all. Life moves on for everyone, but I still want Heather here. Yes I am very selfish. When I begin to have huge pity parties for myself I am boldly reminded that people were touched by her life. So I would like to share a couple with you:

While recently shopping at Kohl's, I was caught off guard by the lady at the jewelry counter who had worked with Heather. Heather worked at Kohl's for over 2 years and loved it. There are a few that she worked with that really loved her. I was looking at a piece of jewelry and I needed 2 of them. The lady asked if I had twins...I said no, my daughter died and this is a special gifts for her sisters so I need 2 of them. She told me how sorry she was. I went on to say that she worked here at Kohl's. The lady turned around and looked at me and said, you are not talking about Heather are you? I said yes, I am her mother. The lady told me her name and she she absolutely loved Heather. She went on to tell me how wonderful she was. I just lost it...crying at the jewelry counter at Kohl's. I was so moved and touched that after nearly 4 years of Heather being gone from Kohl's, people still remember her...

About a month ago I was shopping on a moody day for me at the Santan Shopping area. This area is further away from our house and I figured I was safe to go and not run into anyone there. I was picking up some more "sweet cinnamon pumpkin" and "winter" candles at Bath and Body Works when the cashier told me how much she loved the 2 scents I was buying. I said I loved them too. That they were my daughter's favorite and she had died last year. The cashier looks at me again and says don't you shop at Superstition Springs Bath and Body Works? I said yes..She told me I know you, your daughter worked there right? I said yes...She told me she was the manager at that store but happened to be at this store today. She told me how much she enjoyed Heather and how sorry she was to hear about her passing. Of course I walked out of the store in tears...even at a totally different place that when she worked...people still remember her..

If you have ever had a major health issue you know that you can become very close to the nurses and doctors that treat you or your loved one. During Heather's cancer we were and are still very close with several new friends we made. I firmly believe that we touched most everyone we came in contact with during our ICU stay. We had one doctor in particular that I feel was very touched by Heather and our family. He came in on days off and was in to check on us several times a day nearly everyday. During the 33 days Heather was in the hospital he had his partners check on us only a total of 4 days. Other than that...he was there working. He was working when he wasn't there. He was calling other hospital and doctors to see if somewhere there was something he didn't know about that would work for Heather. He truly gave his all. This of course is not to say that the other doctors we had were not as good. Dr. F, Dr. A and Dr. Z gave their all. The day that Heather died this doctor came in and talked to me. It was just me and him. He got choked up and said he wanted to tell me something but he couldn't say it to me, but he could write it down. After he wrote it, I read it..he touched my arm and walked out. We came back the next day and gave him a "Heather" bunny and I know...he still remembers her...
On a day when everyone is giving thanks for all they have been blessed with...please remember these words. Written by Dr. Zachariah on April 20, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment