Monday, September 13, 2010

A Love Story...Johnnie and Alice...

Johnnie Fedora met Alice Bluebonnet
In the windowof a department store
'Twas love at first sight
And they promised one night
They'd be sweethearts forevermore
Johnnie would serenade Alice
Too-ra-lay, Too-ra-lie, Too-re-loo
He sang of a beautiful palace
Of a beautiful hatbox for two...
~Johnnie Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet~
~A Walt Disney Short ~

When our family lived in Minnesota, our cable TV had the Disney Channel included in the regular cable price. Our usual routine was every Monday night we watched Avonlea~a series takeoff from the Anne of Green Gable miniseries. Usually before or after Avonlea, The Disney Channel would play Walt Disney short films. There are several that I like but by far my favorite is Johnnie Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet. 
Heather's drawings
When I went through Heather's things I found some sketches that Heather had drawn of Johnnie and Alice along with the words to the song printed out. I found this very odd as I never heard or knew anything about these drawings. I asked Jenn if she knew anything about them. Jenn told me that one day in an antique store Heather had found a sketched drawing of Johnnie and Alice. It was too much for Heather to afford to buy for me. She came up with the idea to make me a drawing of Johnnie and Alice. Jenn was going to make a blanket that had bonnets on it to match. This was to be for my birthday or Christmas in 2004. Jenn could not remember which it was for nor why it never happened.
Heather trying to get the hats right

Heather's writing and drawing
During all all many trips to Disneyland I have never ever seen anything that had ever showcased Walt's short films. As Bill and I parked the Xterra and walked down Downtown Disney in Disneyland I just had to stop in the Huge World of Disney store to just "look" for a minute. As I passed by the pin trading area I took a look at what was new. To my complete surprise there was a pin that was Johnnie Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet. All the memories of finding Heather's drawings and watching this came flooding back to my mind. Of course I bought the pin. As I went into nearly every store on the Disney property I only saw one more of these pins.
The pin it slides...
Alice slides to Johnnie...
Johnnie Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet was originally a segment of Make Mine Music in August of 1946. The Disney animators had achieved the seemingly impossible-making the viewers sincerely care about the romance fate of a couple of hats. The Andrews Sisters are the singing narrators. Included in Make Music Mine are "Peter and the Wolf", "Casey at Bat" and "The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met". If you have never enjoyed a Walt Disney short film I encourage you to click on the link and go watch this very cute musical short...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTxSy9LJbig&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment