Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sharing My Heather...

Where are you Christmas?
Why can't I find you?
Why have you gone away?
Where is the laughter, you used to bring me?
Why can't I hear music play?
My world is changing, I 'm rearranging.
Does that mean Christmas changes too?
~How The Grinch Stole Christmas~
~Faith Hill~Where Are You Christmas~


Heather's piano recital, Christmas 2002.
She announces the she is playing Christmas Time is Here
by Vince Guaraldi.
It was written for "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and this cartoon debuted
the year her momy was born.
This is for her...



I have learned in the past 7 1/2 months that friends disappear rather quickly when someone loses a child. I don't know if they are uncomfortable with me talking about Heather and sharing my memories or they simply cannot handle the awful pain of losing a child. Losing a loved one is never easy. However in losing a parent or a spouse there seems to be lots of people who rise to the occasion, meet their needs and share common experiences. However the lose of a child is out of the natural order. It is a very elite club that I pray none of you join. I have often stated that i would love to sit and talk with John Travolta and Kelly Preston. Yes, they are stars, but more importantly they are grieving parents. I am sure we have many things in common.

But with the ones that walk away, there are new friends, true friends that don't walk away and let me talk about what ever I need to. I have many things that I did not share on the CaringBridge that I am beginning to talk about. I need to talk and just have someone listen. They are very private moments, mostly between Heather and me at night when we were alone. Some of the memories are dealing with the cancer and others are the ICU. But it felt good the other day to talk about them. I feel very blessed to have D, W, S, S, J, D, L, S, C, S and K come along side and help me get through this awful time. They visit, text or call very often to keep me encouraged. I am especially grateful for the recent reconnection of a very dear friend from the past and his wife. They have come along side, tried their best to listen and stand beside us.

Many of our new friends did not know Heather very well and some of them never met her. Over the next few weeks I want to share some very personal videos of Heather. Maybe you can see how amazingly wonderful she was. As I look over photos and videos I realize that I don't have nearly enough. As I went through the videos to find some to share I was over come with extreme joy and extreme sadness at the same time. It was so good to hear her voice and see her...at the same time a devastating look that this is all I have left. She will not play her piano again or sing, hold my hand or bring me flowers again. She is gone forever. Right now forever seems like eternity...

A friend sent me a message and told me that she would always remember Heather singing "Breath of Heaven" by Amy Grant for Christmas 2002 at church. She had a truly pure voice. I have included that video..I hope you find it special...Due to being recorded digitally it end abruptly..sorry...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the videos! It reminded me of going to VUSA and Heather working with me to have the coinfidence to sing for talent. She had the voice of an angel, I loved practicing with her!

    ReplyDelete