Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Happy Birthday, My Dolly Girl...

That's very far, thought Little Nutbrown Hare. He was almost too sleepy to think anymore. Then he looked beyond the thornbushes, Out into the big dark night. Nothing could be farther than the sky. "I love you right up to the moon," he said, and closed his eyes. "Oh, that's far," said Big Nutbrown Hare. "That is very, very far." Big Nutbrown Hare settled Little Nutbrown hare Into his bed of leaves. He leaned over and kissed him good night. then he lay down close by and whispered with a smile, "I love you right up to the moon~and back." Guess How Much I Love You~Sam McBratney

Thursday, December 10, 1987 began like any other day. I woke up and began taking care of little Jenny. It was about 8 days before my due date and I had a doctor's appointment that afternoon. I called Bill crying and asked him to come home. I did not not know why...just needed him to come home. We went to the doctor and nothing eventful was happening. Jenny and I took a nap together that afternoon. We had some errands to do so we went to Furrs Cafeteria for dinner at the mall and then did some shopping. I remember standing in line thinking man, this kid is really grinding my organs. I was hurting some. Nothing that I thought were contractions. Walking out to the Blazer I had to stop and catch my breath but still did not think anything was up. You ask how could I not know, Jenny was induced so I had no idea what it was like to go into labor.12th Birthday~1999~
Banana Split at Dairy Queen After ZooLights


At 9:28 pm I began to feel a little odd. Bill was downstairs in the basement room wrapping presents with Jenny. When he came up he asked me what I was doing. I said the 1st level of breathing. He got a very shocked look on his face and said do you think you are in labor? I said I don't know. We timed a few contractions and sure enough 3 mintues apart and lasting 45-60 seconds. Most momys are at the hospital at this point. I called the doctor and they told me to go directly to the hospital, don't get dressed, just go now!! Our sitter for Jenny was no where to be found so we called a neighbor to come watch her.13th Birthday~2000~
Happy lil smile cake


We arrived at Penrose Community Hospital in Colorado Springs, Colorado at 10:45 pm. They were going to observe me to see if this was the real thing. My doctor was already in the hospital with another patient. He came to see me and told me I was going to stay and he would be around. I called the nurse for a pain shot..no I did not have an epidural. I received the shot and 15 minutes later Heather was born at 11:52 pm on December 10, 1987. Due to the shot, Heather was sleepy and did not want to breath. She received oxygen and a shot to counteract the shot. Yes, that is a 2 hour and 24 minute labor and delivery.18th Birthday~2005
Oooh la la every girl wants perfume and nesting owls..


Heather did not mind that her birthday was close to Christmas. I always made sure she was not cheated out of presents. Most of her presents from friends would be wrapped in Christmas paper. I think that is why she loved Christmas so much. It was her 2 favorites right together. She loved to give gifts to friends. She did not care how much it cost. It was how much she knew the person would like it that mattered.21st birthday~2008~
Ironic that Heather poses by Beauty in her blue dress


Heather hated her cancer even more than you normally would.
She said she got the only cancer that makes you fat with all the high dose steroids.
To me she only looked beautiful...


Last year we were at Disneyland for her 21st Birthday. Heather loved Disneyland and I could not think of a better place to be to celebrate Heather, her birthday and all she had survived. we had lunch with all the princesses, had our private tour guide and finally our ride on the LillyBelle train. At that moment all the bad stuff was behind us and life was good for that moment. She wore her tiara from the ball to lunch and Belle and Cinderella wondered where she got such a beautiful tiara. Today, her tiara sits on the heart box that holds her ashes that sits on her piano.

For more about Heather's birthday and life visit
www.caringbridge.org/visit/heathercoombe


14th Birthday~2001~
Mickey and Minnie Christmas cake

1 comment:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Heather! What an awesome way to celebrate. :) Hope you have got so many gifts on your birthday. Ihampers.co.uk

    ReplyDelete