Sunday, October 18, 2009

Yes...It Really is Fall...

Yes, everyone it really is fall in Arizona even though today's record breaking 102 does not show it. That made it very hot for tonight's Light The Night walk. It did not stop the nearly 30 people who came out to support our family and participate in tonight's events. Our team raised over $2600.00 to help fight leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Imagine what we could have done if we had longer than 3 weeks to get it together. Thank you everyone!!Pea dressed in her finest shirt that read Forever My Hero, Forever My Aunt. She also sported her Miss Priss baby hat in the house under the air conditioning. It was way to hot to wear it on the walk. She did ok, but got tired and hot by the end of the walk. She was already in bed by the time Mimi and Papa returned home.During the course of these 3 weeks I have had the opportunity to contact the local chapter of the LL Society. I had a couple of conversations with Pam on the phone and then met her in person when I went to pick up the banner. I told her a little bit about my organizational, computer, event planning and brain storming skills. She was very excited that I would like to volunteer to help the society. Bill and I will be going to the west valley on Nov 17th to photograph the walk over there. It will be our first official volunteer event. There were a few glitches with the walk tonight due to the fact that the coordinator left 2 weeks before the event. There were miscommunications and things were not as good as last year. I hope that I might have a hand in planning or organizing the event for next year. I feel that I have a burning passion and I need to be part of this. It was part of Heather. It helps me in a way that I cannot explain.I have to say that the best part of the entire evening was listening to my husband talk about spending time visiting with his best friend from high school and a best man at our wedding. Derek and his wife Lara drove from St. Johns, Az to come support Bill on what would be a tough evening. Derek just said he needed to be down here to support Bill. We have not seen Derek in over 20 years. When I realized who it was and hugs were given I walked away and cried. Bill so needs the support. I write to all of you to vent my feelings, Bill really does not talk to anyone. He knows it was a God thing that Derek came tonight. it was just like old times...20 years were gone in a second. To Derek and Lara, your love and support tonight means more to us than you will ever know...It was great to catch up with Heather's peeps; Kaitlyn, Joanne, Scott, Kerry, Tiffini, Stephanie, Evan, Dietmar, Justin and Linda, Stephanie's mom. Jenn had several supporters from her church; Amy, Jason, Sussy, Jen, Jessie, Christian, Bonnie, Lance and David. It was very good to see Irene, Nathan's mom. Reading her caring bridge is ok, but to see her and talk to her face to face is much better. (Please keep Nathan in your prayers... www.caringbridge.org/visit/nathanbergerson... this chemo is really working hard on the cancer, but on Nathan as well.) My dynamic duo-Diane and Debbie-came to support me. I call then my dynamic duo because they are there for me before I even know I need them. Debbie, thank you for pushing out of your comfort zone to meet my needs. I know I can always, always lean on you. Debbie, I love you more than you will ever know. 11 years ago I thought I helped Diane through the loss of her Beka. Looking back, I had no clue how to help and I realize that she is helping me much more than I helped her. Diane sacrificed her feelings and time to be with me during the 33 days when Heather died. Diane, I love you more than you could possibly know. If I could ever choose my sisters, I would choose Diane and Debbie...And Princess Pea had her Mommy, Daddy, Mimi, Papa and Auntie Jenn at her beck and call.L to R: Jason, Amy, Evan, Dietmar, Tiffini, Justin, Stephanie, team sign, Kerry, Lara, Derek, Debbie, Diane, hiding behind Sussy, Jessie, David and Jen. Front Row L to R: Bill, Sherry, Jenn, Scott, Irene, John, Wendy and Pea-aka Violet. (not pictured Christian-he took the picture, Linda, Bonnie, Lance, Kaitlyn and Joanne)

Last year as Heather crossed the finish line she felt triumphant. She had beat cancer and she had managed to walk 3.1 miles 4 weeks after finishing chemo. It was an evening spent with her alone. Jenn and Wendy were doing other things last year. It was sort of like crossing the finish line was meaning we were done. It was over. In truth for the cancer part, it was over. The finish line was a lot sweeter last year..

No comments:

Post a Comment