Friday, October 9, 2009

School Volunteer....

"You have a child,
You love that child.

Memories are made-

Then that child is suddenly gone.

What do you do?

Where do you go?"

-Maria Carneiro-

I have plenty of things that I could be doing at home. I have to be in the mood to do them. Most days I am on the computer farming my FaceBook FarmVille. I seem to have lots of "free time". So, I decided to put my creative, restless mind to some good use, and volunteer at Falcon Hill Elementary School. This is the school that all the girls attended prior to home schooling. During the time that the girls were there, I helped about 6 teachers on a daily basis. I loved to create the bulletin boards and work in the copy room. I would have a contest with myself to see how much I could get accomplished in the time I was there. Many days I would have both copy machines running my pages for me. I really do love to multi-task.I had to go through a background check and be fingerprinted to be allowed to come to school during school hours. I was fine with that. I feel anyone who works with children should have some accountability. So, after a 3 week wait, I am officially a Falcon Hill volunteer. I had been creating bulletin boards at home during this time.Mrs. Berglund's surprise class baby shower-May 1996. Heather is behind Mrs. Berglund with her arms hugging her. Wendy is the short one to the left- next to the blanket

Some of the teachers are still there. Two teachers specifically are very close personal friends and kept many of the staff aware of what was happening with Heather. Carla Berglund, who was Heather's 2nd grade and Wendy's 3rd grade teacher, is a very dear friend. She was faithful to come visit Heather during treatment and in the ICU. She also provided Bill with some yummy cookies and made Wendy a birthday cake this year. Then, Dave Martin, was Heather's 3rd grade teacher. Honestly, she was not thrilled to have a man teacher that year. But all that changed when she learned that Mr. Martin took "man vitamins". "Man vitamins" are M&M's. We still call them that to this day in our house. We attended church and worked with Dave and his family in AWANA. Dave came to visit many times as well. It was very touching how many staff saw me, knew who I was and extended their condolenses for my loss. It is just nice to know that people still remember.Wendy, Mr. Martin and Heather May 1996

My goal was to attend to the needs of Carla and Dave. However, I can never do that. So, I am helping in the front office when they need someone extra. I will also be helping with the bookfair, creating bulletin boards for the reading classroom and possibly be doing some bulletin boards for the library as well. It is something that for a few minutes I am just me, not the mother who lost her daughter. A little like painting the rooms last year. For a few moments, I am one with the paper and my mind is shutting out the reality that I live every minute of every day. The thoughts never leave me completely, they are still lerking in the back of my mind. As soon as I am finished, they come flooding back.

No comments:

Post a Comment