Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Three Faces of Cancer...

One day, during Heather’s 3rd stay at the hospital, as I updated her CaringBridge site I watched a family enjoying Dairy Queen Blizzards in the waiting room. As I listened to the conversation I realized that the older brother, Nathan, was an oncology patient. I asked some questions and found out that he was in the room next to ours and about the same age as Heather. I remember thinking I know what the mom is going through. I know what it is like to hear the words your child has cancer. I had to reach out to her. Nathan and Heather seem to be in the hospital at the same time for his 4 treatments. His mom, Irene, and I talked on several occasions and have kept in touch during these many months.Heather

In January, Nathan came out of remission. His cancer was back. He began another course of chemo treatments. He also endured several surgeries to get the tumors out of his body. Heather was in remission and things were very good in our world at that time. I remember thinking to myself “Thank you God I am not Irene right now”. I know that sounds very selfish. I knew what it all meant. I knew at any time the same thing could happen to Heather. (She had a 50/50 chance of coming out of remission during the first 2 years of treatment.) I could not imagine what they were going through.

In April, right before Heather died, Irene came to see us. Nathan was still going through treatments and he had some more surgeries to endure. For a short time we were equal again. Both situations were different but we as moms were fighting for our kids. When Heather died I am sure that every other mother out there was thinking, “Thank You God, I am not Sherry”. It is all right. I don’t want any of you to be me either. Honestly, I don’t like the club I share with Diane and all the other mothers that have lost children. It is not a fun club to belong to.

Nathan

Yesterday I waited and waited and waited for news about Nathan. As the day turned to evening and evening to night, I knew the news must not be good. There are no words I can say. I am heartbroken. All I know is CANCER SUCKS!!!!

Celestine

Here is the post from Irene:

Nathan's cancer has definitely relapsed. Another mass has developed in his chest. The lymph node on the right side subcarnal region (another one behind the heart) has grown from .7mm to approx 2.5cm in 3 months. This is a substantial increase. We have been offered two different treatment options 1) a clinical trial of three new high-dose chemotherapy medicines or 2) stem cell transplant; both options followed by another cardiothoracic surgery to remove additional lymph nodes. Both treatment plans will take approximately 3-6 months to complete. We are discussing them and will decide on one of the options within the next couple days. Chemo would likely start within the next couple weeks.

Please pray for guidance for us to chose the best treatment plan for Nathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment