Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sew Now What...

Life moves on..
As it should..
M'Lynn~Steel Magnolias

Each and everyday Heather gets further in my past. Life is moving on. I don't want it to move on without her but I can't make it stand still either. I am caught in the middle so to speak. I expect the major events to get to me such as birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas...but sometimes the little things are the ones that effect me the most.
Baseball Snoopy Shirt, Red, Blue, Green Yellow Truck Shirt and Patriotic M&M Shirt~All camp shirts


For over 12 years I have pulled out my trusty Brothers sewing machine to do whatever I needed it to do. Whether it be sewing patches on uniforms, making shirts, blankets or doing repairs it has always been there ready to go. Sunday night I pulled out the sewing machine to put satin binding on 2 fleece blankets and it is broken. It only stitches straight line stitches backwards. No forward stitching at all. I had just used it the night before and it worked fine. I managed to put the satin binding on my new fleece blanket as the machines final project.
Little Miss Blanket for me, Heather's beloved Mickey Blanket and Pea's Turtle Blanket

This sounds crazy I know, but this is one more thing that I have to replace that was here and used when Heather was here. This machine stitched the satin binding on her 2 beloved fleece blankets. The bunny one and the mickey one. If Heather had her way she would have ended up with the turtle one I made for Pea as well. Heather loved fleece blankets with satin binding. I had made the turtle one and she was begging me for it. If she was still here she would have the turtles and pea would have a different one.
Jenn with Heather Camp 2003~red, blue, green yellow snoopy capris

I made many, many camp shirt for Awana Scholarship Camp for lots of people with it as well. Snoopy, M&M, Veggie Tales and many red, blue, green, yellow and purple shirts had been sewn with my trusty machine.  Even made Heather a pair of capris that were snoopy in red, blue, green, yellow. She was the hit of camp to have such a pair. She wore them proudly.
Jenn, JT and Heather~Camp 2002~Veggie Tales shirts

I made at least 12 shirts with collars and buttons, as well as 7 fleece satin-binded blankets, 5 Christmas Snoopy stocking and many other things. It did the job for many, many years and I am not sure why it bother me so much. Guess because when I made things on the machine it was usually for the girls and they were so happy to have them.
Snoopy Christmas stocking~2005

My biggest regret is that I was making robes for all of us out of fleece material. My snoopy robe and Jenn's Curious George robes both were finished. I had Heather's rubber duck one all cut out but I never finished it. I found all the pieces the other day. I added extra length to it because she told me she wanted it to be longer than normal ones. Heather was so tall. Maybe I will finish this project anyway.
Curious George and Snoopy robes

I have a new Brothers sewing machine that will be here on Thursday. I will be able to finish the 2 fleece blankets I began on Sunday. I also will begin working on the 3 quilts for us girls that will be made out of Heather's clothes. The new machine has special stitches for quilting. Maybe this is why I needed a new machine. It will be a little difficult to sew the quilts. I really had wanted to find someone to make them for me. But for some reason it keeps coming back that I need to make these. The backs of the quilts will be the flat sheets from Heather's twin sheet sets. Another way to have her things with us forever. Keep you posted on how the quilts are coming....

No comments:

Post a Comment