Thursday, April 22, 2010

What Am I Gonna Do With Your Tattoo??.....

Many people asked Heather if she was going to get a tattoo to symbolize her final cancer treatment. She always said "No, NEVER, why would I do that to my body after I spent all this time healing it." But somehow I know that lil Missy would have eventually gotten one. Heather talked about stars, flowers, butterflies and dragonflies. When she was visiting Myrtle Beach one summer she got a henna tattoo of 3 stars. She LOVED it. She sent me a photo and said, "look Momy, I got a tattoo." She had me going for a minute. But then I remembered her extreme phobia of needles.Heather's 3 star henna tattoo-Summer 2007

When I got the butterfly and tiara tattoo last year I said that was it. I was not going to get anymore. During my recent trip to Disneyland I found a pin that was a beautiful outline of Minnie Mouse. I bought it and the idea popped into my head about getting another tattoo. This one would have all the things I couldn't put with the first one. I came home and began to draw out my design. It came together very easily and I knew I had to have it done. I went back to HotRod Tattoos with Jesse who did my first one. He did such an amazing job. It seemed fitting to get this tattoo on April 20th. The 1st one year anniversary of Heather's death. Perfect thing to do on that day.Heather Kissing her Grandpa...notice the small silver barrette

The Minnie Mouse is for Heather's extreme love of Minnie Mouse and our shared love of Disneyland in general. The Scrolls on the both sides are taken from Heather's hair barrettes she wore to the Grand Ball. The three stars on each side are for the three stars that she had done in Myrtle Beach. The six total stars are for our family before April20th including Pea.
My concept design of what I wanted

I love this new tattoo. It was very painful to get. My mind kept thinking of the pain Heather went through with bone marrow biopsies, spinal chemos, PICC lines, Central lines, chest tubes and then hoped and prayed she was so sedated she didn't feel anything the day she died. She endured so much physical pain. Most of it in the last 33 days of her life. As bad as it hurt the pain could never hurt as bad as the hole in my heart, soul and life without her here.
The final tattoo all finished...

The first 365 days without Heather here have been the longest and shortest 365 days I have even had. It seems like it has been a million years since I heard her voice, her laugh, held her hand or been with her. Then at the same time, it has been so clear in my memory as if it was yesterday. The memories will remain clear till the day I die I am sure.
To my Dolly Girl,
Did I ever tell you you're my favorite?
I love you the mostest
Love, Momy

1 comment: