Thursday, November 19, 2009

Vampires, Twilight and Heather...

Heather was not interested in the Twilight Saga. Heather felt that Jenn had corrupted me into a Harry Potter fan. And that Twilight was just the latest in the read a book over and over and then watch the movie group. I waited till I finished Twilight before I went to see the movie. I was hooked on both. Jenn and I attempted to get Heather to go with us but she refused. Told us vampires are too scary.

One Coombe Family tradition is that on Thanksgiving Eve and Christmas Eve we go see a movie. Mostly because no one is in the theater. Everyone is doing the family things. Last year John and Wendy went to his family for Christmas Eve Day, but they would be back later that evening. Bill, Jenn, Heather and I all decided to spend the day at the movies. The first time ever to see back to back movies. To fit the times so we did not have too much wait time we say Jim Carrey in Yes Man first then went to see Twilight.Heather came out of the theater screaming that she needed a bookstore to get the first book. How dear Jenn and I not tell her it was a love story. On the way home we went to Safeway looking for the Twilight book. Jenn had all 4 and agreed that she could borrow them till she could get her own set. Heather began reading Christmas Eve night. Heather went the day after Christmas and bought the first 2 books. She fell in love with the story and Edward and Bella. Many night she was up really late trying to find a good stopping spot.

Heather said that she was Bella. The pain white skin, not fitting in, not athletic. She also believed that if Edward really existed he could bite her and she would be cured forever. She joked about how she would smell funny with all the blood transfusions. She told me many times that Edward could be the new cure for leukemia. Her last stay in the hospital she kept waiting for Edward…either from Twilight or Enchanted. She thought either one would do nicely.Heather then saw Twilight in the theaters about 6 times before she got sick. The weekend we were moved to ICU Twilight came out. Several of our friends offered to get Heather a copy. We told Heather we would not watch it till she could be home with us to see it. Heather never saw Twilight again.

Heather read 3 out of four books. She devoured them. The final book she borrowed from Jenn. She read the first little bit…up to the wedding. She kept asking me what happened. I would not tell her. The last week in ICU I played the audio version of Breaking Dawn for Heather 2 times. I am not sure how much she got of it. It made me feel better knowing she was hearing her book.It is will mixed emotions that I go and stand in line to see Twilight and New Moon tonight. Heather would have so been here. She would have stood in line for hours to get a seat. I want to see the movie. I have been waiting for a long time to see it. I don’t want to see the movie because it means I move forward without Heather. She should be here with us. It hurts so bad…It is so not fair…but then when did I think life was ever fair???

No comments:

Post a Comment