Friday, January 16, 2015

Celebrations...

How do you celebrate anything? Where do you go? For our family it has been for the last decade to go to Disneyland. This had been our go to place for lots of many different things. None more special than Heather’s 21st birthday celebration with the whole family in December, 2008. I had no way of knowing that would be Heather’s last birthday and I might have changed a few things. I think we would have stayed in the Grand Californian hotel instead of the Disneyland Hotel and we would have done it all. Not that anything was missing from the trip, Heather wasn’t feeling terrific and Wendy was 8 months pregnant. It is a trip that I will remember for my lifetime.


We were on a trip to Disneyland with Jenn, Paz and Snooks when I received a phone call from my Sandy telling me that further testing revealed that a biopsy would be needed to rule out breast cancer. As I heard her say those words I felt once again my world begin to fall apart, Cancer has taken so much from me and now it might be taking my best friend in the whole world. I excused myself from the table at lunch and went to the bathroom and cried. I was in shock for the rest of the afternoon. Later that night when we returned to the hotel room I told Bill that one way or another I was bringing Sandy to Disneyland. I was bringing my best friend on a girls weekend either to celebrate life and no cancer or to push her in a wheelchair while she endured treatments. I told Sandy and she was blown away. We have never done anything like this but it seemed to be the perfect vacation for us to share.
matching perfume bottle painting
The biopsy was done and after an agonizing wait the results came back that there was no cancer. The dates were set for the end of May and all plans had been made. We arrived at the Orange County airport at about the same time. Sandy waited for me just outside the terminal and then we headed to the shuttle to the hotel. Once our things were dropped off we headed to Disneyland and our first stop was on Main Street to the Silhouette Shoppe. I have learned that this is the first place to stop if I want to get one of these. The lady was awesome and it looks just like us. So wonderful to have a cut-out with me and Sandy together. Next was to the castle to see our favorite spot.
our silhouette-Sandy in back, Sherry in front
My goal was to document our trip with selfies as kind of a different way to look at Disneyland. Many awesome photos were taken and it was a trip of amazing memories. Of course I took Sandy to the perfume shoppe. She was unaware of what my plans were here. I had her pick out her favorite fragrance and I picked mine and then I had her pick a design to be hand painted on the bottles. Pam, the artist, was not there and Mary would take them to Pam and then mail them to me once they were finished. Sandy was delighted. We had a special dinner at Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel. The food and service is second to none in my books. It is very 1950’s style classic restaurant. We ended out meal with the special Mickey Mousse dessert.
in front of the Walt and Mickey statue
Steakhouse 55 Mickey Mousse
We shopped, rode rides, ate sugar cookies and had the best time ever. Beignets were for breakfast each day. Sandy loved Tower of Terror and Screaming California and the feel of the newly renovated California Adventure. The classic Small World, Peter Pan and Pirates were a must do in Disneyland. We also saw a bit of the parades and fireworks as well. Our last night there were ended up eating dinner at Naples Restaurant. I felt this was very fitting as we were eating in Naples when I got the call from Sandy and now here we were eating and enjoying life at the same place. I am hoping that Sandy and I can make a regular time to go back to Disneyland together. It is just amazing to spend time with your best friend at the Happiest Place on Earth.
we ended our trip with our favorite Mouses
Bill and I also went to Disneyland to celebrate our 31st anniversary. We have enjoyed going over this time because all the kids are back in school and the parks are not quite so crowded. The weather is just about perfect as well. The only downfall is that the parks don’t stay open as late but a small price to pay. This trip was documented in selfies as well. We rode the rides, ate beignets for breakfast, ate “Frozen” sugar cookies and went to our favorite spot at the castle.
Frozen sugar cookies-chocolate mouse?
CORNDOG!!!
Several amazing things happened on our trip, beginning with celebrating our anniversary  at Steakhouse 55 and of course the Mickey Mousse dessert. I also found a brand new Dior perfume that was an exclusive to Disneyland to have painted while we were there. I just love my bottles of perfume. We had our first ever corndog at Disneyland and boy was it delicious. Finally, I received a call from The Disney Store asking me for more information so I could move onto the next step of the hiring process. This seemed to be a sign since we were standing in line to have a picture taken with Mickey and Minnie.
Two long lasting couples
Steakhouse 55 Happy Anniversary Mousse
Of course the whole family will be heading to WDW and a Disney Cruise to celebrate Sunnie and Heather’s birthday and make some memories. Is Disney the only place to go for celebrations? No, but it means something very special and personal to me and this is how I find comfort and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment