Sunday, April 22, 2012

3 Years or 94,608,000 Seconds...


Truvy: How ya holding up honey
M’Lynn: I’m fine
Claire: It was a beautiful service,
Weezer: Those are the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen
M’Lynn: They were beautiful
A’Nell: Miss M’Lynn, it should make you feel better knowing that Shelby is with her King
M’Lynn: Yes A’Nell, I guess it should!
A’Nell: We should all be rejoicing
M’Lynn: We you go on ahead! I’m sorry if I don’t feel like it! I guess I am a little selfish; I’d rather have her here!

It has been 3 years, or 36 months, try 156 weeks, how about 1,095 days, maybe 26,280 hours, or 1,576,800 minutes and finally 94,608,000 seconds since Heather died. Three years sounds like a long time, but the 26,280 hours or 94,608,000 seconds sound nearly impossible and overwhelming. Three years is a long time not to see your child, or talk to her, not know what she is doing just simply being without her. No she is not away at college nor did she move across the country, if she had done those things I could talk to her on the phone, text her or get on a plane and go see her. None of that is possible for me to do.

This week was a very emotional week for me as I made huge decisions and had an enormous change of heart concerning cemeteries and letting go of her ashes. The heart box that sat on her grand piano for nearly 3 years I lovingly said my goodbyes and placed them into the hands of Daniel at the cemetery. Monday will be our family time to say our final goodbyes and bury her ashes. More details about all the decisions in the next blog.

Thursday night Bill and I went to Tucson and stayed the night.We had a nice dinner and didn't do anything just relaxed and were out. My plan was to visit Ben’s Bells on Friday. Heather loved to paint pottery and she loved to help people. I wanted to visit Ben’s Bells to paint pottery pieces for the bells and help someone else. 
outside Ben's Bells-Tucson
A historic building downtown
Add caption
Mosaic counter for washing your brushes
What is Bens’ Bells you may ask?
  • Ben's Bells are beautiful, ceramic wind chimes.
  • The pieces that form a Ben's Bell are crafted by hand by people all over Tucson and beyond.
  • The process of making the pieces of Ben's Bells is therapeutic & FUN - no artistic ability is necessary!
  • By the time a Ben's Bell is assembled, at least ten people have worked on it making it a TRUE COMMUNITY EFFORT!
  • Ben's Bells are not for sale... Several times a year, hundreds and hundreds of Ben's Bells are hung randomly in public places around Tucson and beyond. The only way to get a Ben's Bell is to find one or to be "Belled"
  • To date, over 25,541 Ben's Bells have been released!
  • And the point?? KINDNESS! We want people to remember how much power they have each day to make the world a better place simply by being kind.
Celebrate Kindness-Bill through window
Are you interested in how Ben’s Bells was started? March 29th, 2002 started as a very normal day in the lives of Jeannette and Dean. Their sons, Matthew – nearly 6 and Ben – nearly 3 – were home playing with a playmate. Ben had a cold and a bit of a croupy cough. Never did it enter their minds that Ben was seriously ill or that he could die. And then he did. It only took seconds for him to become unconscious after his airway swelled shut. Jeannette’s efforts at rescue breathing and CPR were in vain as Ben’s airway was completely closed. In those moments on the morning of Good Friday their lives changed forever. Slowly, they began incorporating coping strategies into their lives coming up with a design for Ben’s Bells and started making them in their back yard studio with friends. The therapeutic effect of working with clay was amazing as was the power of being surrounded by people talking and working toward a common goal. They decided to make hundreds of the Bells and distribute them randomly in the community to encourage the kindness that they so depended on to get through each day. Since Ben’s death, it had been the kindness of others, strangers and friends, that had helped them begin to heal. They wanted to find a way to pass on that kindness and to help others in the process. On the first anniversary of his death, hundreds of Ben’s Bells were distributed throughout Tucson, hung randomly in trees, on bike paths, and in parks with a written message to simply take one home and pass on the kindness.
Mosaic tribute to Ben
Original Ben's Bell-can't buy have to find it
Mini Ben's Bells you can buy
bead string bells
To me personally, Ben’s Bells have been very healing as I have purchased a Mini Ben’s bell to mark Heather’s cancer and 3 bead string bells to mark the number of years that have passed. I love the fact that no beads are made the same or painted alike. They are truly unique bells. I also have purchased some to send to friends to mark death anniversary dates. I purchased a heart bell to mark our trip to see and paint at Ben’s Bells. Then just to add to my collection I bought the limited edition 2012 celebration of kindness bell. I love going out on the back porch and listening to the bells and wind chimes I have outside now. I also bought Jenn and Wendy their own bells as a keepsake.
Bill's first time painting pottery
Sherry painting "chili pepper red"
It was a very relaxing time to sit in the shade with a light breeze and paint “kindness coins”. These coins or token are a reminder to be kind. Many of these "coins" are given to teachers in the local schools to give to students when they see them doing acts of kindness. It is a very small way to pay it forward. So Bill and I painted “kindness coins” flowers. After we leave they will be dipped in glaze and fired in the kiln. A small string with a note will be attached to them and then they will be bought or given away. Kind of a nice feeling to know something I helped make is going to brighten someone else day. It was a very good way to spend part of the day.
Our kindness coins ready to be glazed and fired
In honor of Heather
Kindness Coins
Kindness Coins
A’Nell: Miss M’Lynn, I don’t mean to upset you by saying that. It’s just that when something like this happens, I pray very hard to make heads or tails of it. And I think in Shelby’s case, she just wanted to take care of that little baby and of you, of everybody she knew. And her poor little body was just worn out, just wouldn’t let her do all the things she wanted to. So she went onto a place when she could be a guardian angel, she will always be young, she will always be beautiful. And I personally feel much safer knowing that she’s up there on my side. It may sound simple, stupid, and maybe I am, but that is how I get through things like this.
M’Lynn: Thank you A’Nell, I appreciate that, it’s a real good idea I guess
My Ben's Bells
Be Kind Bell added April 20
We came back to the Valley and met the rest of our family for dinner. We came back home and released 12 hot pink balloons. This was to mark the 12 months that Heather has been gone. Once it was dark we put 12 luminaries in pink bags around the Sally Angel in the front yard. Funny how releasing balloons and putting out luminaries can be so healing. Sally Angel goes up at Thanksgiving, stays up on her little “cloud” of blue lights till April 21. On April 20th a beautiful wreath is put out by Sally and then the luminaries go out that night; then it all comes down at dusk on the 21st. For one day, anyone who walks or drives by the house will wonder what that means, knowing in their hearts that someone very loved died. I do it because I need people to remember Heather. She lived but she never got her name in lights, or found a miracle drug, or even died in a way for the world to hear about her. She was born, she lived and then she died with no fanfare. 
Wherever The Road Leads, Together We'll Always Be-4/20 gift from Bill
April 20th is over and now begins my New Year. I had a dear friend-my BFF- asked me what my goals were for my New Year. I actually had not given it any thought. But she started me thinking that this issomething that I need to do. I need to set goals for the year,for my New Year  to accomplish before the next April 20th – when New Year’s Eve comes along. I am working on my list and plan to share them with you and the progress I make on them as well. It is a great idea and I thank you, Sandy very much, love you.
Sally Angel on her cloud with the luminaries
The design shines thru
I want to thank all me special peeps-S,S,S,,D,D, M and M for all your text messages, checking on me, asking how I am. Thank you for listening to me as I tried to share my thoughts and feelings about the changes this week. Thank you for not thinking me crazy or insane for always being the ones I can text or call no matter what.
They still shine during the day thanks to the sun
Looks bare with Sally Angel gone...
M'Lynn: I'm fine! I can jog all the way to Texas and back, but my daughter can't! She never could! Oh God! I am so mad I don't know what to do! I wanna know why! I wanna know why Shelby's life is over!..…Oh God I wanna know why? Why? Lord, I wish I could understand! No! No! No! It's not supposed to happen this way! I'm supposed to go first. I've always been ready to go first!I-I don't think I can take this!I-I just wanna hit somebody 'til they feel as bad as I do! I just wanna hit something! I wanna hit it hard!
Go to the website-order a bell- you will not be disappointed

No comments:

Post a Comment