Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Stained Glass...

When Heather began classes at Red Mountain High School she wanted to do something different and fun. She began taking stained glass. She LOVED it so much so continued for 3 years and designed several of her own patterns that are still used today at the school. Her teacher, Mr. S, had never given an award for stained glass till Heather was a senior. It was the only best student award he ever gave. Heather was honored to receive such an award from her favorite class and teacher.

Heather had a true talent and love for stained glass. She made such beautiful things for people. Problem is that like most crafty people they seldom make anything for themselves to keep. She made her Nativity and then wanted to make a Victorian Window for herself. She began this project at the very end of her senior year. She brought the bucket home with the pattern, some glass, foil, solder and cutting tool. She managed to get about 2 inches of the pattern with glass cut and foiled. This bucket remained under her bed from May 2005 till she died in April 2009.

My biggest regret is that in packing up all of Heather’s things I took the bucket and I threw that whole thing in the garbage. I have no idea why I did it now. At the time it seemed to make sense. I called Heather’s teacher and kind of hinted to him that I would like to have him finish this project and he really didn’t offer. I knew of no one else to finish this and I had not thought of the idea of having a stained glass store finish it for me. I didn’t even know that stained glass store existed. So, instead of packing it in a box and making a decision about it later when my mind was clear, I THROW IT ALL AWAY!!! A stupid decision and I regret it daily. This is why I tell people to box everything when someone they love dies, things change over time and something you get rid of will be wanted later.

At Christmas time 2009 when I got out Heather’s nativity set I noticed that the camel had come loose from the base and I needed to get it repaired. I looked online and found out there was a stained glass store at Greenfield and Baseline about 15 miles from my house. I was in shock, I had no idea there was a store so close. I took the camel there and had it fixed. It was very spendy to have this done. Real stained glass is very expensive to purchase. At that moment I regretted throwing the bucket with the stained glass window away.

I happened into the stained glass store today and asked the owner if she could make some of Heather’s patterns for me. She had made a butterfly mirror for a friend that I really would like to have made for myself. She told me yes, that if I bring the patterns in she could make anything I wanted. While I was there I began looking at books and became very sad to think about the Victorian Window that I threw away. If only I had the pattern I could have it made. But I threw it all out nearly 3 years ago. I had been through Heather’s patterns several times and never found the pattern for the window. So, I purchased a heart with a red rose in it. I took about 45 minutes to pick out the glass. I think Heather would be thrilled with the glass I chose.
Photo of pattern-mine will be better
When I returned home I went to look for Heather’s stained glass patterns. I found Heather’s original daisy I want them to make, the butterfly mirror and the Christmas bells. Then I found the paperwork for the window. In her class she had to outline what she was planning on making and the cost. I never noticed there was something stapled to the work order. To my amazement and surprise I FOUND THE VICTORIAN WINDOW PATTERN!!! It was stapled to the work order. I cannot believe after all this time, I found it. I will be going back down to the stained glass store tomorrow and begin picking out glass to have this made. I have probably waited too late to have this finished by April 20th, but I am thrilled to have this back. So, it won’t be any of the glass that Heather picked or cutout, but it is the pattern she picked and soon will be hanging in my house in the front living room window for the world to see. Of course it is iris’s, magnolia’s and poppy’s with a southern porch….What else would it be that my sweet southern Heather would pick…
Iris, Magnolia and Poppy-perfect

1 comment: