Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Diamonds and Settings...

When I created my diamond the original setting I chose was actually for a square cut or princess cut stone. I felt this setting had a very “princess” look to it and asked if the jeweler could alter the setting to fit my diamond. The setting was modified to fit a .75 or ¾ carat diamond round in it. When my red Heather diamond was cut it was much larger than expected. It is actually a 1.24 carat or nearly twice the size of the original one.
The original setting-8 prongs just not strong enough to hold the stone
When the ring arrived it was stunning and perfect and beautiful and I loved it. I never wanted to take it off. However, just like anything that is done long distances away, it was the wrong size. I had ordered a size 7 to fit my middle finger and this was actually a 6.75. is was too small for my middle finger and too big for my ring finger. Normally this would not be an issue when you purchase any regular diamond for any normal jeweler. A created diamond is not replaceable and most mall jewelers will not take the responsibility to work on the diamond. Then comes the shipping end of things. Most jewelers ship your diamond rings thru a carrier or UPS or FedEx. This is not possible with a diamond like mine.

I found an oldtime jeweler (Rod) that keeps the jeweler right on property and works on it himself. He has worked on other created diamonds and was not afraid to touch it. I had it sized and the prongs looked at. There were 8 prongs so I figured the stone was safe in the setting. Boy was I wrong. I found out in early January that one of the prongs again was lifted. Upon looking more the jeweler said that all 8 of the prongs were not really seated on the stone to hold it in properly. This was the final straw. I never want to lose the stone so I decided to look for a new setting. It was not going to be easy to find one that I liked better than what I had.
Side view of new setting

See the huge strong prongs to hold the center stone
I looked at several retail jewelry stores and found some nice ones. They were ok, but the issue was that once the Heather diamond was placed the warranty for the rest of the ring was void. I would have to pay to repair or rodium the ring. Through the prodding of a really good friend I went to the Shane Co in north Scottsdale. (This was who gave me the jeweler’s name, Rod, that repairs my ring to begin with) I was blown away by the selection of rings. 1000’s of ring setting in 100’s of styles and designs. I have never seen such a huge selection of rings. I never ever imagined that I could find a setting that looked as much like the original one, BUT I DID!!!. It is the most beautiful setting. Shane Co re-sized the ring on the spot, the problem was that once I took the ring the warranty was voided again. But I didn’t care I loved the setting. I took the new setting and the old ring to Rod, my jeweler. He was thrilled that I had purchased a new setting. He thought that the original setting was under sized to hold the large stone in it.
Heather diamond placed in the setting see how beautiful
The light reflecting
It took Rod over a week to set the stone but it was worth the wait. I love it and the stone is nice and secure. Since I was a block from Shane Co I took my completed ring back to show the sales person. She was blown away by how beautiful the stone looked in the ring. She also told me that since Rod set the stone they would honor the warranty and fix the ring for me. Hooray, it all seemed to work out perfect. The new setting shows the true color and size of the diamond.  Most of the diamond before was so far inside the setting and was not able to get catch the light or show just how big the stone really is. I have to say that changing the setting was the best decision ever!
Simply beautiful and so princess just like Heather
The new setting is described as follows: 
(funny how there are 46 diamonds and I am 46 years old)
Brilliant hand-matched diamonds provide the perfect backdrop to the center diamond of your choice. Forty-six round diamonds, at approximately .34 carat total weight, are pave-set into the quality 14 karat white gold band, providing a glamorous, 
modern look.

2 comments:

  1. Those 46 diamonds would sparkle even more when stricken with light. And unlike the first one, the improved prongs will truly hold the center diamond into place. That is a one-of-a-kind ring, and I'm sure that it is so valuable that no amount of money would be able to match its intrinsic beauty.


    Jeffry Pullam

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a smart decision to get new a prong setting for the ring. It would be heartbreaking to lose a diamond that beautiful. From the looks of it, the 4 prong setting looks tough! The jeweler really did a great job with it! And it’s good that it all went well in the end.



    @Kimmy Barnes

    ReplyDelete